Menu

Recovery time after Pulmonary Embolism?

KatieJ

Three weeks ago I was in the hospital with many PE in both lungs. My brain is telling me I should be getting over this but my body is saying its tired.

I have oxygen at home but I

Have gone two days without using it, then I get a really tired day. So I use it again for a half hour or so.

I am in no pain to speak of. We don't know where the clots came from or why it happened yet, and we may never. So far all tests to rule out cancer have come back negative.

I am just wondering if anyone has gone through this and what does the extended recovery look like?

I am a home health nurse and we usually tell patients 3 days for every day you were in the hospital and in the bed.  It takes time - be gentle with yourself and take it slow.  By the time summer is in full swing this will just be an unpleasant memory.  I am glad you are doing so much better.

My dad has two small ones that he developed after surgery. His doctors have told him it could take several months (IIRC, up to 6 months) for them to dissolve. It has been about 3 months and he's feeling better but his oxygen level still drops a little with activity and he still gets really tired. I have a feeling the coumadin is making him tired as well. 

We were given no direction on oxygen use. I failed the walking test two days in a row, ( oxygen level dipped below 88 when walking) so a nurse told us they were sending me home with oxygen. No direction. 5 days later we saw my doc for a recheck and we told her we had no direction on how much to use it. She listened carefully to my DH describe how I was at home and said to use it when I need to which was more than I had been. I use it when my ox numbers end up low 90s. Most of the time they are high 90s. But they they having been dropping the past few days as I am doing more.

I