Menu

vesicoureteral reflux

UncleEJ

I posted few days ago about my DD having urinary issues. I took her to the doctor yesterday, and they took a urine sample to run labs on and grow a culture. I don't have the results of that yet, but her dr is setting her up with a pediatric urologist to get a VCUG. She suspects vesicoureteral reflux maybe causing my DD's problems. In researching vesicoureteral reflux, much of it fits.

Does anyone have an experience with this that they'd be willing to share? I'm trying not to worry to much.

DS13 was diagnosed when he was 7 with it.  He was a Grade 2-3 and at his last VCUG had resolved down to a 1.  Only the most severe cases require surgery.  Urologists kind of differ with their treatment, some will prescribe long term antibiotics & some will only treat UTI when they occur.  DS's chose not to (which I was thankful for because we only use when absolutely necessary).  As long as we make sure he doesn't hold his bladder for long periods and keep his bowel movements regular, he doesn't seem to to get UTIs.  When we suspect he has one, I get the OTC test strips before I call the doc for a urine test.  If he pops positive, then I will call for a quick test.  His Ped tests (and prescribes antibiotics if pops positive on quick test), then cultures & then sends the results to the Urologist who prescribes the right antibiotic for the bacteria if the one we are using isn't the right type. 

DS has finally seemed to outgrow his bed wetting issues about 2 years ago. 

With a good urologist, it is completely manageable & not too worrisome!

• Like 1

DS13 was diagnosed when he was 7 with it. He was a Grade 2-3 and at his last VCUG had resolved down to a 1. Only the most severe cases require surgery. Urologists kind of differ with their treatment, some will prescribe long term antibiotics & some will only treat UTI when they occur. DS's chose not to (which I was thankful for because we only use when absolutely necessary). As long as we make sure he doesn't hold his bladder for long periods and keep his bowel movements regular, he doesn't seem to to get UTIs. When we suspect he has one, I get the OTC test strips before I call the doc for a urine test. If he pops positive, then I will call for a quick test. His Ped tests (and prescribes antibiotics if pops positive on quick test), then cultures & then sends the results to the Urologist who prescribes the right antibiotic for the bacteria if the one we are using isn't the right type.

DS has finally seemed to outgrow his bed wetting issues about 2 years ago.

With a good urologist, it is completely manageable & not too worrisome!

Thank you! I am concerned with long-term antibiotic use. We, too, use antibiotics sparingly.

My child had surgery at age 6 to correct her VUR.  She already had kidney damage from UTIs (and as far as I know she only had 3).  She became allergic to the first choice prophylactic abx, and the 2nd choice abx was one that would, as a side effect, likely worsen another existing condition she has. If not for that, we would have stayed the course.

Not wanting to worsen the kidney damage was enough for me to get over my fear of long term antibiotic use. Per the nephrologist she would prob have needed to be on it until puberty/growth spurt would "correct" the anatomy.  Another friend's child outgrew the VUR after only a year or two on antibiotics.  The VCUG will show the docs how severe the reflux is, which should guide decision making.

• Like 1