Menu

VP with BF books?

3girls4me

Has anyone ever used VP self paced online courses and added in BF books for readers? My daughter likes the look of the self paced course but we were already planning to do BF Medieval. I know some people have used VP self paced and added Sonlight readers. I don't want to add to much, but I've never used these VP classes so unsure if we would still have time to read the BF books also.

Thanks!

I don't think it would be a problem at all. VP has suggested books to go alongside the self paced course but you could replace those books with the BF books. We only used about 3 of the suggested books and added our own literature for the self paced course this year. Next year I'm going in an entirely different direction for our literature and I won't be using any of the suggested reading books alongside. The course doesn't talk about the reading books at all. It's just suggested literature to supplement what they are already learning in the course. 

• Like 1

I don't think it would be a problem at all. VP has suggested books to go alongside the self paced course but you could replace those books with the BF books. We only used about 3 of the suggested books and added our own literature for the self paced course this year. Next year I'm going in an entirely different direction for our literature and I won't be using any of the suggested reading books alongside. The course doesn't talk about the reading books at all. It's just suggested literature to supplement what they are already learning in the course.

Perfect! Thank you!

We did VP Ancients last school year and Beautiful Feet Medieval this year! Just my opinion, but I think that will be A LOT of history. The BF Medieval books are pretty meaty. They are amazing, but not necessarily easy reads. When we did VP Self-paced it took about 45 minutes a day, not including the suggested reading for the student. This year, I read about an hour a day from the BF read alouds with about 20 minutes for some of the extra goodies in the teacher's guide (and we are still a bit behind). Personally, I think it would be difficult to keep it all worked out. But, I did add the VP history cards where appropriate with some of the encyclopedia type readings and it worked out well. Every family is different so, it may be just right for you, but having used the two programs I don't think it would be beneficial or necessary. 

Edited to add: I don't think it would be a problem, and might be quite lovely, if you did that with the BF American History programs because the books are less intense. :)

Edited by lollie010