Menu

Softball moms, talk to me

Our daughter is thinking of going out for the high school softball team for her senior year next year. She's not played on a team before, but is a varsity athlete in another sport and has played softball informally with the family for a long time. The school is small, so I think she'd get on the team ok.

What types of training would the team do to get ready for the next season? She'd like to get herself as ready as possible.

Any tips and pointers welcome!

I'm no softball mom, but I've watched a college team practice many times (my son takes lessons from a coach of the baseball team, and baseball and softball share the indoor facility), so my one suggestion is to try to get into some batting cages that have a softball pitching machine.  Granted, this is a college team, but that ball is coming pretty fast.  The college has a pitching machine that the girls use, so I would think any batting cage in your area would have one as well.

• Like 1