Menu

Dave Ramsay - Have you heard of him other than online?

Sun

Have you heard of DR from people offline?  

192 members have voted

1. 1. Do you ever hear about DR from people in real life?

• Yes, regularly
    • Yes, occasionally
    • Yes, but very rarely
    • Maybe a few times
    • Never
    • Other

It's interesting to read the responses. It sounds like I may never hear about him from people in real life because I live in an area that is about as far removed culturally from the Bible Belt as you can get.

Yes - he used to be on the local radio station.

Also, our homeschool group held a  Ramsey financial literacy class last year for teens, and many of the moms still talk about it. I wish we had been able to attend.

We did it with our older kids and it wasn't anything special.  Certainly not worth what I paid for it.  We hurt our eyes from rolling them so much at his strawman "teens are stupid" shtick.   Hey, let's denigrate all teens to make the almighty DR look smarter.  My kids were not in the least bit impressed.  They endured it but didn't learn much more than common sense.  I knew that DR's advice about investing was terribly unrealistic, that returns like that had not been seen in more than a decade.  Plus we were not happy with his dogmatic approach to debt. 

Same.  DH has some cousins who were very into DR.  When we met for a family gathering many years ago, two of them actually got very upset when DH picked up the tab for dinner and paid for it with his credit card.  His mother got a call from one of his aunts later concerned that we were in dire financial straits due to our credit card use.

Yeah, it was sort of a religion among some of the Christian homeschoolers around here.  They were appalled that I put everything on my credit card.  It never occurred to them that I paid everything off and never purchased anything that we couldn't afford.  We are pretty frugal to begin with and know what kinds of things we can afford and what kinds we cant.    I think every other work out of their mouths were "  but ... but ... but Dave Ramsay says ..." 

• Like 1