Menu

Science - need help...11th grade

I am planning my ds 11th grade year and need help with science.  He has always loved science.  Yet, he currently does not.

He has completed:

Physical Science - Rainbow Science

Biology - Kolbe Academy

Chemistry - Apologia (ended up being too difficult and we stopped at LM10)  we switched to Life Pac Chemistry (This is has been too easy, but this is what he will finish this year)

I am wanting to get that love of science back to him.  I do not think he is ready for Physics.

So I have considered Earth Science (Tarbuck and Teaching Co)? or Environmental Science or maybe doing a History of Science with Susan Wise Bauer's book?

I have really enjoyed having a guide, ie. Kolbe Academy or Apologia's.  So any recommendations, I am all ears...

I plan for 12th to be dual enrollment or Physics.

What does your son want to do?

My ds took Conceptual Physics in 9th grade, Chemistry in 10th, and AP Biology for 11th.  All were labs. His schedule could not withstand an AP Physics course for 12th grade and I wasn't comfortable teaching a regular physics course on my own.  Fellow boardies helped me design a "Natural Sciences Field Studies" class that incorporated the Tarbuck's text and Castro's Marine Science text. We consider it "practical, hands-on" science for someone who likes to hike and sail. We've utilized books like the "Hiking Your State's Geology" series and attended lectures at the Audubon Society. I've pulled a couple of labs from the standard classes and applied them here.  I wanted something that addressed his interests, but would still look challenging enough for college admissions (beyond a regular Earth Science class).

What does your son want to do?

My ds took Conceptual Physics in 9th grade, Chemistry in 10th, and AP Biology for 11th.  All were labs. His schedule could not withstand an AP Physics course for 12th grade and I wasn't comfortable teaching a regular physics course on my own.  Fellow boardies helped me design a "Natural Sciences Field Studies" class that incorporated the Tarbuck's text and Castro's Marine Science text. We consider it "practical, hands-on" science for someone who likes to hike and sail. We've utilized books like the "Hiking Your State's Geology" series and attended lectures at the Audubon Society. I've pulled a couple of labs from the standard classes and applied them here.  I wanted something that addressed his interests, but would still look challenging enough for college admissions (beyond a regular Earth Science class).

Something like that sounds like a good match. He has started White Water Kayaking this past year and has already planned to volunteer with the Geological Survey Organization here. 

Would you mind PM your plans that you did?? 

Conceptual Physics has relatively little math in it; it is not algebra or calculus based.  My DD is doing it now in 8th.  Here is the link, and there are workbooks and teacher book, as well:

http://www.amazon.com/Conceptual-Physics-12th-Paul-Hewitt/dp/0321909100/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461298782&sr=8-1&keywords=conceptual+physics

I have not thought of Conceptual Physics.  Is it a little easier than Apologia's Physics?