Menu

GTG, Trip Around The World or my own.....

Mommamia

There has been some discussion about Galloping the Globe lately so I'm hoping that someone will give me input. I would like to do some sort of fun, passport included, trip around the world this year as next yr we will do a yr on the United States. With that, I've been seriously considering GTG.

I cannot get a good feel for it. Is it possible for me to just print off worksheets for fun from Enchantedlearning.com and map out our own study or would it be easier to stick to GTG(or TAW)?

Thanks!

Here is one idea (and another is in my signature): I haven't used GTG but I made my own list of resources to do the same kind of thing using the "Around the World" coloring book from Dover and a list of books and craft ideas for each country. The plans are linked in my signature.

:) Homeschooling my daughter - Ordinary Parent's Guide, Explode the Code, RightStart Math, and Countries and Cultures of the World

The Sunny Patch

What I like about GTG is that it gives me good bones for further study. Each country has an excellent outline map. The map shows a large outline, plus where the country is located within the continent and where that continent is located within the world. Each continent also has a map that is labeled with the major countries and a few other major features. Then at the conclusion of each continent, there is a blank outline map of the entire continent for review work. Each country also has an outline flag to color and a short blurb of interesting facts about the country. Then it gives a book list on every major subject area that corresponds to the country, biographies of famous people, literature, science, Bible, etc. It also notes any major geography features that are important to the country and a list of hands-on activities to complete which often include a recipe.

There are mazes and puzzles sprinkled throughout the text. These are largely unrelated to the study in my opinion, I'm not sure why they chose to include those. However, the text is quite substantive without those.

We are planning to combine geography/culture with animal, plant and earth science study. I'm using mostly books that I already owned.

Julie

Oh lovedtodeath......your plans are wonderful! Thank you!
No prob. I will gladly email the rest. I really like the pictures in the Usborne book of Asia, but the Children's Atlas is really for older children as are the Count your way through... and biography of... books. We intend to revisit this study when DS is in 1st grade and DD in 6th. Material World is optional and a little advanced, but it shows peoples' homes and jobs so just the pictures teach quite a bit about culture that the other books do not include. Our World is a great one that I unfortunately did not schedule. As is the Art and Activity book. I hope you enjoy it. Watch my name for posts, I hope I can get our notebooking pages for Africa uploaded soon.

I printed off your recipe book plus the world study! My ink is fried, but well worth it!

We have Material World and Children Like Me....plus various books on the different countries.

Lovedtodeath.....anything you want to share will be appreciated!!Thanks

I printed off your recipe book plus the world study! My ink is fried, but well worth it!

We have Material World and Children Like Me....plus various books on the different countries.

Lovedtodeath.....anything you want to share will be appreciated!!Thanks

I will need your email addy; I cannot attach a large file through this forum.