Menu

Science Curriculum

My middle child will be joining my youngest in homeschool next year, for his 6th grade year.  He may be returning to public school in 7th grade, so I want to make sure he stays current with what he would be learning in public school.

I am looking for science resources/curriculum that cover the subjects listed below.  I don't care if they are "classical" (really, not sure how a classical science curriculum would differ from a non-classical one).  I'm hoping to find several of the subjects under one curriculum and fill in with unit studies (or maybe just use all Unit Studies).  Also, if you are familiar with any good books on one of these subjects (something I might find at a library) I'd love to hear about it.  Thanks for your suggestions!

MATTER (Elements and compounds, periodic table, metals/nonmetals/metalloids, density)
FORCE, MOTION AND ENERGY
LAYERS OF THE EARTH
ROCK CYCLE (metamorphic, igneous, sedimentary rock)
ECOSYSTEMS
BIOLOGY (Cells, Taxonomic classifications, Organisms and their Environments)

(If you're suggesting a book/curriculum that covers several of these subjects, if you could tell me which ones it covers that would really help...thanks!)

Ellen McHenry Elements, Carbon Chemistry, Cells

We've used Disney Science of Imagineering DVDs for physics-type units. Some libraries carry these. 

If you're planning to send him back in 7th, I would grab the 6th grade textbook of the series they use used on amazon or wherever and go from there for continuity. Your local library may keep copies of the text for reference. 

• Like 1