Menu

MFW users - science question

scrapper4life

in Adventures, the science is thematically connected to the Bible lessons, which study the names of Jesus.  For example, when you are learning "living water" the science topics will be water related.    If you use something else it's ok.  You might enjoy doing the extra in the "free but productive afternoons" or light Fridays if you don't want to miss the simple but connected theme.

in ECC:  the science is ecology/ecosystems, which I think connects well with world geography.

CTG: The science is General Science.  The thematic connection is mildly there.  The book used is Science in the Beginning which orders the general science topics relative to the order in appearance of creation week. In other words, the first unit will be "light, optics".  2nd unit is air/water (atmosphere, weather stuff).  3rd unit: soil rocks.  4th: sun moon and stars..  5th: birds/fishes..  6th: land animals and people.     The other part of science in CTG will be pyramid study and that is done while studying ancient Egypt.

RTR: I never figured out if/how it was thematically connected really.  Maybe some historical connection of sorts, but not necessarily in the lesson plan connection, if that distinction makes sense.   One semester is Astronomy.  One semester is Human physiology.    Yes, astronomy study became big in history during this time. 

EX1850: one semester was animal study. one semester was botany.  

1850MOD: year of elementary level intro to chem and physics topics.

yes, you can do your own science if you prefer because in the mfw sequence of things, jr high students don't use the built in science.   yes, you can do extra or lighter versions of more than one option as long as you aren't burning out you or the kids.

Overall, the sequence progression made for a nice elementary time for my oldest and middle.  We're science family (dh is research scientist).  We always had time for more in afternoon, or field trips, or science museums.   I personally enjoyed having the various books and topics over the year so I felt like I wasn't tied to one publisher.