Menu

I am in the middle of getting my masters to become a licensed counselor. I have 4yo and 2yo. My 4yo is currently in PreK3 (December birthday) and will be in PreK4 next year. She goes part time to school which Is play based and has been learning to read at home (initiated by her).

We've toyed with the idea of homeschooling, but do need two incomes once I graduate. I've considered counseling in the evenings and was wondering if any LPCs have made a counseing career work alongside of homeschooling? My thought was we could get a sitter for late afternoons and I could work from 3-8 or so.

I am an LCSW who has worked part-time doing counseling and teaching as an adjunct professor while homeschooling.  It is possible, and the hours you suggest would be popular hours for clients.  I would want Fridays off, though, if I had a schedule like that because it could become draining doing it five days a week.

I am an LCSW who has worked part-time doing counseling and teaching as an adjunct professor while homeschooling. It is possible, and the hours you suggest would be popular hours for clients. I would want Fridays off, though, if I had a schedule like that because it could become draining doing it five days a week.

That's good to know! I am considering my phd after my masters, but probably not until my kids are a little older.

Ideally, I would want to work 3/4 evenings a week. A lot of prayer is needed!

A lot depends on job placement too for when I do my hours. To become an LPC I need 2,000 post degree practical counseling hours. Working evenings might prolong the process.

I would love to keep my kids at home though.

• Like 1

That's good to know! I am considering my phd after my masters, but probably not until my kids are a little older.

Ideally, I would want to work 3/4 evenings a week. A lot of prayer is needed!

A lot depends on job placement too for when I do my hours. To become an LPC I need 2,000 post degree practical counseling hours. Working evenings might prolong the process.

I would love to keep my kids at home though.

I think part-time would give you the best of both worlds, so to speak, so I wish you the best in your decision process.  I know that LPC-I's can do part time work toward full licensure.  The same is true for LMSWs working towards an LCSW.  I am supervising a young lady towards her full licensure currently who is working part-time.

All the best to you!  

I think part-time would give you the best of both worlds, so to speak, so I wish you the best in your decision process. I know that LPC-I's can do part time work toward full licensure. The same is true for LMSWs working towards an LCSW. I am supervising a young lady towards her full licensure currently who is working part-time.

All the best to you!

Thanks!

I do feel like working would help keep me sane and able to better teach my kids.

It's a big decision!

I'm an LPC! I was most of the way through the licensure process when my children were born, but I've worked anywhere between 10-20 hours a week since they were small. We've tried different things- working evenings, working Saturdays (those slots fill up fast!), and using various forms of childcare. Right now, I work one evening a week and two afternoons- about 20 clinical hours a week. My husband goes in early and comes home early those days and we have a Spanish tutor who comes in during the other hours and teaches some grammar/works on conversation. We've made it work. I've loved getting to have them at home for school AND being able to continue to counsel. You can do it!

I'm an LPC! I was most of the way through the licensure process when my children were born, but I've worked anywhere between 10-20 hours a week since they were small. We've tried different things- working evenings, working Saturdays (those slots fill up fast!), and using various forms of childcare. Right now, I work one evening a week and two afternoons- about 20 clinical hours a week. My husband goes in early and comes home early those days and we have a Spanish tutor who comes in during the other hours and teaches some grammar/works on conversation. We've made it work. I've loved getting to have them at home for school AND being able to continue to counsel. You can do it!

Thanks! If I did 20 hours a week, I could get licensed in 2 years still. I have never planned to work full time with my licensure, probably max of 30hrs.

Now to convince my husband to homeschool. He had a negative experience as a kid homeschooled until 6th grade. But I think it was more the culture and co-op he was in (extremely conservative Christian) and not so much the fact that he was homeschooled. We are Christians, but not close to as conservative as his childhood was.