Menu

Can anyone tell me if Life of Fred math is enough for 5th grade??

Mommyfaithe

My dd is not complaining...not crying and is actually giggling. This week we used Life of Fred and I just did not have the heart to break out our regular math books. I really feel like this kid needs to learn how to think logically in order to get the right answers and Fred is encouraging her TO THINK!!! I love it....

BUT, the lessons take her over 1/2 hour to do each day, and I just do not have the time nor th energy...and she does not have the inclination or desire to do more math than that right now...so we have to decide between Fred ...which we both LOVE..and BJU which we both tolerate ok enough.

So, what says the hive??

~~Faithe

Well, I'm a living math believer. So we have a regular math program, but we don't do it everyday. Sometimes we just focus on Life of Fred. Sometimes we do math history. Sometimes we read math books. So, I don't think that Life of Fred is a complete math program, but I also don't think taking time off of BJU and working on Fred is a bad thing. I think if your child is enjoying math, then run with it!

Smiles,

Shalynn

You know, this is my gut response too. It was like when I had my ds using Teaching Textbooks. He went from hating Math to loving it...blasted through Algebra 1 & 2 and went into jacob;s Geometry...which he reads for FUN!

So, my gut is go with Fred...lots of living Math this year...and then get back on a text route when math is more fun and less scary....

Hmmmmm

forging new paths...the course of a homeschooler.

~~Faithe