Menu

Online math or In real life at home or w/ tutor.

Hello all. Would love to tap into your collective wisdom on a math question. DD is in 8th grade next year. We are doing Prentice Hall Course 7 and plan on Lial pre-algebra since there is no rush for algebra. She is 2e and there are lots of other things to focus on.

I can continue to Lial pre algebra and I like that I can help with executive functioning and methods at home. However, I would like focus on Science this year and math is making that tough.

I can also arrange for a tutor or online classes for pre-algebra. I work PT so it will free up our study time for other subjects. But then I fear I will lose control of math if she stumbles because I will be focusing on Science instead of Math. This happened when she went to school for grade 5.

OTOH, next year's curriculum whether Lial or online Dolciani is not new concepts compared to what we did this year. So this may not be a bad time to see if the alternatives work.

Spinning the same arguments in my head. Any perspectives are appreciated. Thanks.

Ann.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2E daughter is doing prealgebra through Derek Owens this year. You can outsource it all to him or you can pay half-price and do the grading and support yourself.

My daughter watches the videos and does the assigned homework. I grade it and control the speed through the course. If she's getting stuck anywhere, I can back up and teach that portion myself with other materials, otherwise she's been learning through DO and doing great. It has freed up my time to teach her elsewhere while still moving her along in math.

• Like 1

Jann in TX uses Lial's for her classes. The pre-algebra class is twice a week and Jann is willing to do one-on-one with students at no extra cost, which is really nice. So you get both, the live class plus extra tutoring as needed. She is very thorough and does a great job with students. Her site is called my homeschool math class.

Edited by threeofakind
  • Like 2