Menu

Potential move to Charlotte, NC - Advice Needed

Pink and Green Mom

DH's job is being relocated to/near Charlotte (I77 and the Beltway, south of the airport).  We know absolutely nothing about the area.

We have been looking at Waxhaw.  I am not sure how we came up with this, so we are open to any suggestions.

We need a good high school for DS, who is going to be a freshman in August.  We were looking at Marvin Ridge HS district in Waxhaw.  This is going strictly off the Great Schools ratings (and I know those can be deceiving).  Are there other districts we should consider?  I think schools are our top priority at this point. 

Private school is a possibility, but we still want to be in a great school district.  This particular child is an average student.  Any advice for private high schools known for giving those who need it that extra "push" would be welcome.  Christian schools (Catholic or Protestant) are fine (although we are not regular churchgoers or particularly religious).  Homeschool is (unfortunately) out of the question for him as we just cannot work well together and he thrives in school with other kids.

Youngest (currently in 5th grade) would likely remain homeschooled.  Any really great co-ops?  I am looking more for an academic co-op with solid middle and high school level  classes  as opposed to an electives type co-op.

We hope to stay under $600k for home price.

This is all happening so fast  :willy_nilly:  .  I hate to make my son move right before high school (or worse, during) but we have to go with DH's job. 

We would greatly appreciate any help the Hive can give us.

Waxhaw is lovely. Check out the rest of union county, too. Wesley Chapel, Weddington- 600k will get you far in those areas. This area of South Charlotte is HUGE for homeschooling, lots of co-ops and lots of homeschooling groups. 

Union County (where Marvin Ridge is) has far better schools than Mecklenburg- stay away from Mecklenburg if possible. There are also some private schools that are excellent in the area, also some University Model private schools that meet 3x a week and you do the rest at home on Tues/Thursday. We also have some great Charter schools in the Union county area that are worth checking out. 

Sorry if this seems disjointed, I have a four year old in my face asking me all about Donald Trump right now- haha! 

• Like 1