Menu

"Undead II": Follow-up to Nan's "undead" post!

---Which started out "So, if you embrace death, are you undead?" Here's the link.

As we had to make a run out to get leaves for middle dd's leaf project, here's a synopsis of the teen conversation which transpired:

Oldest dd to middle dd (about movie "Eagle Eye" which we saw last night---spoiler alert here!): "The movie was OK, but the premise wasn't sound. Anybody who's read "I, Robot" would know that it isn't possible, because the author (Isaac Asimov) was a scientist, and there really is a first law of robotics which states that a robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm. So, the movie wasn't even plausible!"

Then later, over dinner, oldest to middle again, "You know, I can't stop thinking about this, but if two identical twin men get married to two identical twin women, could their children technically be considered siblings? Or would they still be considered cousins? Why couldn't they be siblings----I mean, they have the same DNA!"

Do teen minds work in strange and devious ways? What do these kids think about all day long?

How about it, Hive Mind? What strange thoughts have your teens (or kids in general) had today?

Yeah, and they get it from us. lol

My dd, 19, and I were conversing the other day about a short story she had written the rough draft of for a college creative writing class she is taking. (she is a bio major, but an avid sci-fi/fantasy reader and writer) I suggested that she "kill off" the major character in her story thus making him more dynamic and bringing the point of the story to a definite conclusion. Upon deciding that "Mr. Webber" did indeed need to die and musing about a long-loved plot from the original Star Trek series, she wrote herself a reminder note: "Jim, Edith Keeler must die."

We have many strange and interesting moments here...

Upon deciding that "Mr. Webber" did indeed need to die and musing about a long-loved plot from the original Star Trek series, she wrote herself a reminder note: "Jim, Edith Keeler must die."

We have many strange and interesting moments here...

where the Star Trek crew traveled back in time to the time of the Great Depression, and Edith Keeler was organizing peace rallies? If she had lived, the US would not have entered WWII, and Hitler and the Axis powers would have won?

I ought to go back and watch some of those old episodes again! Do you suppose we can find any with classical references? ;)

I ought to go back and watch some of those old episodes again! Do you suppose we can find any with classical references? ;)

i have used the Next Generation episode where Picard tells the story of Epic of Gilgamesh. At the end of the episode he is reading something in the original Greek (i thought it was perhaps Homer, but I think someone told me it was a collection of shorter poems)

kate in seattle

That's the one!

There are various classical references sprinkled throughout the Star Trek universe. Check out what I found: The Literary Galaxy of Star Trek: An Analysis of References And Themes in the Television Series

I remember one episode of TNG where Data played Beowulf. :D

How about some Shakespeare in Star Trek?

Whatever would we do without Star Trek?!

ETA: Voyager was the series with the Beowulf plot. It involved the doctor and Harry Kim. I just had to look it up!

Edited by percytruffle

That's the one!

There are various classical references sprinkled throughout the Star Trek universe. Check out what I found: The Literary Galaxy of Star Trek: An Analysis of References And Themes in the Television Series

I remember one episode of TNG where Data played Beowulf. :D

How about some Shakespeare in Star Trek?

Whatever would we do without Star Trek?!

ETA: Voyager was the series with the Beowulf plot. It involved the doctor and Harry Kim. I just had to look it up!

Like Elegantlion posted on Jane's thread about Monty Python, we really did have a classical education! :D

Yah, but what about those of us who didn't receive a classical education AND didn't watch TV? Typical me - I don't understand the popular references and I don't understand the classical ones. The only things I understand are Beatrix Potter and Calvin and Hobbs and Pooh and Wind in the Willows. Sigh. I don't think I'm ever going to grow up at this rate.

LOL! The classical education I never knew I had: Bugs Bunny, Monty Python, and Star Trek.

I remember reading a college newspaper editorial in which the writer referred to the Grand Poobah as a character introduced in the Flintstones--not Gilbert and Sullivan. I sent the writer a note suggesting that he turn off his television and take advantage of some of the cultural activites offered at the university.

Guess I am a good example of a Poobah to have done such a thing!

Jane