Menu

What is there to see and do in Des Moines, Iowa?

Living History Farms: http://www.lhf.org/

Go on a weekend if you can, when there are plenty of interpreters there to show you arond. We spent the entire day there, and had a WONDERFUL time!

Also, we enjoyed touring the Capitol Building, believe it or not. We took a guided tour and had a woderful time. I blogged about both places. Here is the link: http://harmsinoz.blogspot.com/2006/09/andwere-back.html

Have fun!

We visited there last fall when hubby had to go for business. We went to the zoo. It was small, but cute:

http://www.blankparkzoo.com/

And we went to the Botanical center.:

http://www.botanicalcenter.com/

My boys really enjoyed the botanical center, which surprised me. You can check out a backpack at the front desk and it has activity sheets and scavenger hunt pages. At the time my boys were 6 and 3.

It's a friendly city to visit. We enjoyed ourselves.

I'm a DesMoinean. I definitely recommend Living History Farms, although make sure you check the dates because it closes for the season in October some time. It is an all day place with lots of walking. We get a season pass and my kids love it. The Science Center is great, stuff for all ages and very hands on. Probably not more than 2-3 hours to go through. The botanical Center is pretty, but my boys think it's a bit boring. The Blank Park Zoo is nice although some of the animals will be put away by october there is still a nice indoor exhibit as waell as the outside ( it is not a very big zoo, but it's nice) One more thing I would recommend is the State Historical Building. The best part about it is it's free. It's a really nice history museum downtown. It takes a couple hours to go through, or faster with the ages of your kids.

We do have some nice malls if you're interested. The newest is Jordan Creek in West DesMoines and very nice. Anyway, hope that helps. Oh, I don't know where you're staying, but there is a hotel way on the east edge in Altoona (you will pass right by it on the interstate) that has an indoor water park. I think it is called the Adventureland Inn, you might need to double check the name. Also, there is a Stoney Creek Inn with a nice pool area in Johnston on the west side near the interstate. Those are the best ones I am familiar with.

Ok now I'm done,

Have a great day,

Katty

I also recommend Living History Farms. Wear your walking shoes.

If you're accustomed to Brookfield Zoo, Blank Park will not impress your children. ;) Just speaking from a former Chitown girl and now a transplant to Iowa. Blank Park is cute, but underwhelming in comparison.

Science Center downtown is good for the ages you listed.

There is unique shopping at Valley Junction, if you're into art, vintage, antique, mom n pop type shops.

Jordan Creek Town Center is fine as far as malls go, but if I were coming from near Chicago, it wouldn't be high on my priority list. You'd do better on Mich Ave or Woodfield. Of course, Jordan Creek now has an Apple Store, which is tops in my book.

Depending on how early you come in October and the weather, Jester Park at Saylorville Lake has horseback riding, hiking, camping, water sports, buffalo, elk, pelicans, etc. It's a little known treasure worth the drive... about 30-40 min north of DSM.

Enjoy your trip!