Menu

Anyone know anything about atrial fibrillation?

trulycrabby

My lovely, beloved mother-in-law has developed rather severe atrial fibrillation. She is 80 years old, and has severe anxiety attacks when the atrial fibrillation episodes occur, which seems pretty normal to me since heart and sympathetic nervous system are so intricately associated. Her exercise tolerance has also decreased, and it seems like every time she gets on the treadmill to walk at a gentle pace; she gets another episode. She is seeing a cardiologist who has prescribed first atenolol and today replaced it with flecainide.

I know about risk for stroke, so can for now we discuss quality of life in someone who has severe atrial fibrillation? She is a vital, otherwise healthy lady, and it hurts to see her struggle with this condition.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!

My mom has afib and is on meds for it, including warfarin to prevent clots.

She won't exercise, which is really screwing up her weight and her ability to move. I guess she's just afraid of taxing her heart. Her heart also beats too fast, so she's on meds for that, too.

One thing can lead to another. I guess the only advice I have is for your mil to remain as active as she can.

• Like 1

Have her thyroid checked. This can cause rhythm abnormalities. My dh has hypothyroidism and takes meds for that. This helped control the frequency of the atrial fib. He has taken both the meds you listed, but the flecainide is what he takes now. He hasn't had an episode in a year or two.

Have her thyroid checked. This can cause rhythm abnormalities. My dh has hypothyroidism and takes meds for that. This helped control the frequency of the atrial fib. He has taken both the meds you listed, but the flecainide is what he takes now. He hasn't had an episode in a year or two.

That's good to know about flecainide.

She is on armour thyroid for hypothyroid. She sees a naturopathic physician who tests for T4, T3, reverse T3, antibodies, etc...

• Like 1

Only that dh's heart was damaged a couple years ago by the blood clots he had. So now he has afib and must continue the warfairn for the rest of his life. I was more than kinda freaked out when he told me. Since he developed it during this clotting episode it isn't like other cases. I guess, I am kind of in the dark about it.

Edited by SharonM