Menu

Windows to the World

We loved it and I will definitely use it again with all of my kids.

It is a lot of writing, but it takes you step by step through how to analyze literature and write a good lit analysis paper. Since you're focusing on short stories instead of full novels, it seems much less intimidating to tackle. We covered it all in about 26 weeks.

And to answer your question from your other thread, we did not use the Jill Pike syllabus or Teaching the Classics and we did just fine without them. The teacher manual and student book are all you need. :)

Hope that helps!

• Like 2

We loved it and I will definitely use it again with all of my kids.

It is a lot of writing, but it takes you step by step through how to analyze literature and write a good lit analysis paper. Since you're focusing on short stories instead of full novels, it seems much less intimidating to tackle. We covered it all in about 26 weeks.

And to answer your question from your other thread, we did not use the Jill Pike syllabus or Teaching the Classics and we did just fine without them. The teacher manual and student book are all you need. :)

Hope that helps!

Thank you! Do you think the writing would be too much if we already have another writing curriculum in place. Is the writing component in Windows to the World enough or should I combine the two.

What writing program are you currently using?

DS did Wordsmith Craftsman first, and then did WttW. I thought it was very helpful and important for him to know how to write standard essays (narrative, expository, persuasive, etc.) before doing lit analysis. So if you're still working on essay writing, I'd probably recommend finishing that and getting proficient at that first before doing WttW.

But yes, WttW has enough writing on its own without supplementation, IMO. The year DS did WttW he finished that in ~26 weeks and then afterwards did 2 units from Excellence in Literature (using the lit analysis skills he learned in WttW and applying them to longer works) and we called it a full English credit.