Menu

Trail Guide to World and US Geography

Gamom3

Hello- I am planning on using Trail Guide next year and thinking about combining it with World Geography and You. My intention is to create a combination geography/world cultures curriculum for 6th grade next year. I was curious as to why you were using U.S. Geography. What does it have that Trail Guide doesn't?

1st Q: Can I do both in a year or only 1

I wouldn't. Alot is covered, and to cover both in one year would put retention of the material at risk, IMO. If you do World, you will get coverage of the US via the five weeks dealing with North America .

2nd Q: What else do I need? I have..Uncle Josh's Outline Maps

Student Worksheets and Teacher guides

You would need at least one good Atlas, preferably two, just in case one doesn't have what you are looking for.

I really think it would be too much. I have the US Trail Guide, and it is set up to take 30 weeks (plus 6 for the lit unit), based on studying 2 states per week. In the intro, the author recommends actually spreading it out to only be one state per week, which would require 60 weeks. To get both World and US done in one year, that would be 4 states per week -- too much info at once!

Just my opinion. :) I guess it really depends on what you are looking for. If you REALLY wanted to get US and world geo done in one year, only focus on the regions of the US and a tiny bit of info on each particular state.