Menu

Do I need the SSL 2 Teacher Book? UPDATED: SSL 2 vs GSWL

Another question I have is whether I would be better served doing SSL 2 -OR- Getting Started with Latin before we start CAP Latin for Children?   GSWL is a lot cheaper than the whole kit for SSL 2.  That is why I am undecided.  

I have two children that will be 8 and 9 (3rd and 4th grade).  Both are mildly dyslexic.  

Edited by TheAttachedMama

GSWL is more whole to parts than CAP programs and has much less vocab, fewer forms and no structured memory work. Mostly translation. 

About the SSL 2 TM, I had several years of Latin and could correct my kids' work without it, but the work is very simple and straightforward and I think any adult who actually read the chapter could correct the work. The CD is fun too! Fast, easy memorizing!

If your goal is to head into LfC A knowing lots of the vocab and some of the forms and basic ideas like cases for nouns and endings for verbs, SSL will do that. GSWL too, but not so directly or as much. 

You can control the pace of LfC and it will not be overwhelming. I think GSWL is great before it or even alongside LfC A. I like it much better than the LfC readers. 

Remember, LfC assumes no knowledge and starts from the beginning. anything you've done before it just makes it easier. A good grip on basic grammar will be helpful too; parts of speech, subject, verb, object, infinitives etc. Chris Perrin explains everything on the videos and there is lots of review.  My only problem with LfC is not enough room to write.

In favor of SSL2, I like having the video to help with pronouncing things.  I looked at GSWL when I was buying SSL2 went with SSL2.  I don't remember why (probably the videos), I have one "stealth dyslexic" and non-dyslexic child.  Also, they did like Simeon and were excited to have him around again.

I agree that I can correct all of the work in SSL2 by just reading the chapters, but it'd be much faster for me to use a key.  Especially for the crossword puzzles or wheels where they match things- stuff like that.

ETA: I should say that I am living proof that you can definitely do SSL2 without the TM - we're almost done with it and it has worked.  I just have actually wished I had it a few times this year and I didn't at all with SSL1.

Edited by Incognito