Menu

Classical composition vs W&R

3girls4me

Hi ladies

I have been googling and googling trying to find helpful reviews of both of these writing programs and I've found a few helpful posts, but nothing that was super recent and super compelling.

Can anyone tell me what they feel like the pros and cons are of these two?

I'm pretty sure I'm going to switch over to MP for our Latin program, but I'm also considering their composition and maybe even grammar too.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

I have not used Classical Composition. I have used 3 levels of W&R and have the next one on the shelf ready to go. So my comments are mostly about W&R

Pros:

Variety - the activities vary, which keeps the lessons engaging

Literary examples - each lesson begins with a lit selection from which to stage discussion, exemplify writing tools, and segue to the writing exercises. They are well written, mostly classical, and interesting.

Skills - this program builds a variety of skills simultaneously, and gradually in a more global (less sequential) way. All language arts (reading, writing, listening, speaking) are touched on. There is narration, summary (the 2-3 sentence condensed narration), copy work, dictation, art work study, copiousness (sentence variety, vocabulary variety, etc), amplification (using dialogue, description, etc), memorization, elocution skills, and a number of other skills worked on.

Layout - it is aesthetically pleasant from book size/length, to illustrations/photos, fonts, type setting, space for writing in the workbook

Scheduling - I don't like curricula that are scheduled for 4-5 days a week for 36 weeks (or similar) because I feel bound to the schedule and find it difficult to get back into it if we've had an unusual day (most of our dads are unusual :P). Each lesson is basically a week long working 3-5 days, but with two books that means about 25 weeks. The other weeks are for grammar, or literary studies, or whatever else your ELA consists of. This works well in our home, but that approach isn't for everyone.

Cons:

If you or your student prefer a more sequential approach, daily lessons, or independent work this probably isn't your best choice. There is some work that's done independently, but discussion and sharing their work (not just a narration, but their copiousness exercises sentences, etc) is integral.

We really like W&R, and it has helped my resistant writer engage with writing. We use it with MCT, and I like them together.