Menu

Government next year

I'm thinking of studying Government with all 5 of my children next year. I've got two in high school. They will be in 10th and 11th grades. The other children will be 4th, 6th, and 8th.

I'm thinking of using Notgrass HS Govt for the older two and their middle school govt course for the younger three. 

I know that the programs won't really line up, but I like the idea of teaching in one direction. Has anyone done this? Any recommendations on what I should add to these programs to really flesh out what government means to us, what it is? We will follow the election as well. 

I do Sonlight normally. My younger 3 are finishing up Core E American History Pt. 2, and we were supposed to move onto Core F: Eastern Hemisphere. (My 10th grader would probably do a geography course or Core 200 and my 11th grader would do govt regardless) But I'm thinking that with the election year, it'll be fun to do something different and we've never done formal government before.

I've also never used Notgrass before, so I'm wondering if I'll like it. My younger three needs lots of hands-on and pictures and government is more ideas. 

I think it would be fun to do that during a presidential election year.  Perhaps you could start by using a workbook that deals specifically with Presidential elections. Different children can be assigned different candidates, following the campaign process and even running their own mock campaign and mock election.  

After that, I'd do a more general governmental studies program.  We always used a very basic spine, but then supplemented it with interesting documentaries, researching our own state officials, touring the State Capitol, etc.

Edited by J-rap
  • Like 1

I think it would be fun to do that during a presidential election year.  Perhaps you could start by using a workbook that deals specifically with Presidential elections.  Also, different children can be assigned different candidates, do through the campaign process, and hold a mock election.

After that, I'd do a more general governmental studies program.  We always used a very basic spine, but then supplemented it with interesting documentaries, researching our own state officials, touring the State Capitol, etc.

This was my thinking. Use something basic and add interesting extras. 

• Like 1