Menu

Anyone used FLVS as a homeschooler?

I'm new to Florida and I overheard two homeschoolers discussing FLVS.  There wasn't an easy way to "break in" to the conversation, so I just wrote myself a note to look it up when I got home.  

It's intriguing.  

DD would like to do the Marine Science class for a high school credit.  It says that Biology 1 is a pre-req.  I wonder if Biology 1 done outside of FLVS in 8th grade would "count."  I'm assuming yes, because it says that the class is open to grades 9-12, but you know what they say about assuming.  

I'm looking for feedback about the quality and ease of use (technical issues, etc) with this method of learning.  It almost sounds too good to be true. 

I sent an inquiry but I'm not sure how quickly they respond. 

We've used it for years. I have never had to verify that my kids have done a prerequisite. They just ask me if I am aware of the prerequisite and whether I feel that my student is prepared for the class. We've found it easy to use and the quality average. It's not great, but certainly acceptable.

• Like 1

It is not AP Biology. I think they may offer that, too. It includes some additional material that is not covered in the regular biology class. It covers all the bases. There isn't a great deal of depth, though I suppose an interested student could dig deeper on his/her own. (That would not be my daughter. :) ) There aren't any real labs, which is the biggest downside to FLVS science classes.