Menu

Saxon Intermediate 3 or Saxon 54

bethben

This is for Saxon users only - I'm not changing from Saxon due to a variety of reasons that I've thought long and hard about.  Now that we cleared that up, my daughter is in Saxon 3.  There are just some things she is not getting.  We're still working on remembering addition/ subtraction facts and we don't do the number sequencing (ex. 120, 130, 140 or 325, 350, 375, 400) because anything past 200 messes her up.  She keeps forgetting how to do things like add 10.  Basically, some days she's good where she's remembering everything and knows stuff really well, some not so good.  Today, it seemed like she had forgotten everything I taught her the whole year so far.  I wanted to cry.

I'm wondering if I should just repeat 3rd grade with her and try Intermediate 3 or just do 4/5 at half speed (one day do the odds, next day the evens).  I don't believe there are learning disabilities - it's most likely just maturity and some ADHD issues we are addressing.  I'm not at all concerned about being "behind".  I'm all about learning the level she's at and only progressing when she's ready.  

So - Intermediate 3 or Saxon 54 half speed?

I found there is a ton of review at the beginning of Saxon 5/4, but with the difficulties you are talking about, going to intermediate 3 sounds like a great/better option than moving ahead. We are on lesson 77 and into 3-digit long division, and I would definitely want the issues you talked about sorted before she started moving to those types of problems. It might "click" for her and you'll feel like it's to easy, but I think that building confidence and feeling "good" at math can pay dividends in the future.

For reference, we did Saxon 1 in K with my DS6 and I sent him "back" to CLE 100s from the beginning this year because I did not feel like anything was really cemented enough to keep moving forward. I'm not saying that to say you should switch, but just to say I am a person who has repeated a level with my kiddo and found it extremely beneficial for him to solidify the concepts before moving forward for the sake of it.

What does her daily work look like? If it is just the meeting stuff that trips her up, I would move on to 5/4. It has SO MUCH drill and review.

My daughter caused me so many sleepless nights at that age. She just had no number sense. We just moved forward slowly and consistently. Just before her 12th birthday it was like a light turned on. She consistently scores over 90% on daily work and tests now. She's finishing 7/6 and will move on to pre-algebra next year.