Menu

Real Science for Kids... Levels 1 and pre-level 1...

Pat in MI

Does the student text have the lab sheet things or do you even need them in order to do the labs? Or did you make up something on your own? Thank you so much for taking the time to help me.

Blessings,

Pat

Hi Pat, The Biology Level 1 book does not have lab sheets. This is the only Real Science for Kids book that we have owned, so I don't know about the others. Basically each chapter is broken down in sections from an Introduction to the subject and it ends with a chapter summary. It follows this sequence throughout the entire book. This book has a lot of plant things in it, talks about microscopes and the butterfly life cycle to name a few things. Last year we ordered the butterflies to raise, etc. I've never seen the lab book so we might be missing a lot, but we are just enjoying the book as it is. The back of the book has a big glossary with definitions. We have enjoyed it. Maybe someone else can let you know if you would be missing a lot without the lab sheets.

Thank you for your replies. I am tempted to just try it without the TM and lab sheets. It sure would be a lot cheaper. Thanks again.

Blessings,

Pat

You're very welcome.:) One thing I forgot to mention is that the books are quite thin -- this one is 66 pages. So, they are expensive to me for the size of the book but they are packed with info. I think they are well worth it. We chose not to use the labs, etc. because of the costs. You might can see a sample of the book on their website or at amazon.

We're doing RS4K Chem 1. I have the text, TM, and lab sheets. I'd say the TM is optional. It has a list of supplies needed, a bit of extra information for each chapter, and possible answers for the lab sheets. I think the whole program is a bit too expensive, but my boys love it. You really do need the lab sheets-those are for the accompanying hands-on experiments. I don't think the text would be worth the money w/o the experiments.

Thank you Sandalwood and Jen3boys.

Blessings,

Pat

Pat,

BTW you can view each book page by page from the author's website:

http://www.gravitaspublications.com/products/

I did buy the whole package because it walks you through what to do for the experiment, then has the answers to the lab sheets. The lab sheets walk the child through the scientific process, but have no information saying. "Combine x with y and observe". Some of the experiments it is obvious, but a few leave you rather lost without the TM, IMO.

Heather

What is necessary for these programs? Do I need the Teachers Manual , Student Text and Lab sheets for each of these levels? Thank you for your help.

Blessings,

Pat

I'm using Pre-level 1 with my daughter and we use the text, student manual and the teacher's manual each time we do a lesson. The Teacher's Manual gives instructions along with the items needed and tips on how to set up the experiments with each chapter. For example, we're doing Experiment 4 today and without the TM I wouldn't have known to prepare the cabbage for the project.