Menu

Pursue Latin/language for kiddo with reading challenges?

diaperjoys

Our 10 yo really struggled learning to read. He's fluent now, but it was a three year task. Now, learning to read music presents similar issues. It's going to be a long, slow road. We've done testing & screening, and no further testing is recommended at this time. 

And that brings me to the question of languages. We typically have our kids learn Latin. And he's been working with his 8yo sister on Song School level 2 this year. But it is hard. His sister is whizzing along, and for our son it is hard going. I'm certain I cannot pair him with his sister next year, and I question whether our time is best spent doing Latin at all. Perhaps waiting a few years, and then having him work through Spanish, which would have more immediate applicability? Or maybe we don't do languages at all? 

Thoughts?

My son, who learned to read quite "late" and is still a bit of a slow reader, loves Latin and Spanish.  Latin is significantly easier to read than English.  It is just small, regular syllables put together.  He went through Getting Started with Latin over two years, usually translating just five sentences each day.  He also learned to read the Greek alphabet.  He's just started Lively Latin, and I have to sit with him to help him read the English, but he's got the Latin okay.  

The key is to just go very slowly.  But Latin is a huge confidence booster for him, and it will give him a huge boost when he is finally reading English on mainstream American "grade level."  His vocabulary and analytical grammar skills are already years ahead of where he "should" be (audio books help too).  But because he reads English so slowly, he doesn't fit a mainstream reading level.  I don't believe it's necessary to hold a slow reader back in language learning, but I definitely wouldn't combine him with his faster sisters.  I have a daughter a year younger than my son and she can read Latin much faster than he can.  I keep them separate for sure.  But I don't underestimate my son's ability to learn just because he takes more time.  Not saying that's what you're doing, but just that it is a temptation for me with my son and his reading difficulties, and I've tried to overcome that thinking.  

ETA -- I actually believe that studying Latin and foreign languages can benefit children who struggle with reading more than those who don't. 

Edited by Ms.Ivy
  • Like 1

My dd's reading has always been on grade level, but her speech isn't. We do a foreign language anyway, but focus on learning through reading because that is her strength. Speaking will have to follow along later, (if we get there at all!)

It sounds like your kiddo would work better the opposite way?

Or teach him to sign. Plenty of benefits but no reading required!

• Like 1

He reads well now - happily takes on chapter books for pleasure. But, still, the process of learning the reading skill was huge. Now, in piano, it has taken him a year to learn what other kids master in the first two months. I don't want to pour that kind of time into a skill that isn't going to have some serious payback. 

It is probably easier to find a spoken approach to a modern language, vs. latin, so that is a consideration. The interactive Software is a good idea.