Menu

Writing like BJU to go with CLE LA?

jer2911mom

I think BJU is stronger in explicit writing instruction, but CLE LA is stronger in grammar and I like that it is more independent and has more review.  I like that BJU uses graphic organizers and teaches the proofreading/editing marks.  Is there a program like BJU that just covers writing and that would work with CLE LA?  I could just use the BJU writing portion, but that seems like a waste, plus it would be expensive.  This would be for 3rd grade and up.

Which writing programs use graphic organizers, teach the proofreading/editing marks, and have explicit writing instruction?  What pairs well with CLE LA?

Thanks,

Kathy

Have you considered just using the workbook?  The teaching portion for the writing units is very basic and everything you need is right in the workbook.  This is what we have been doing since we transitioned away from BJU grammar.  I think the only thing missing is the writing rubics, but you can find similar online if you need them. 

Have you considered just using the workbook?  The teaching portion for the writing units is very basic and everything you need is right in the workbook.  This is what we have been doing since we transitioned away from BJU grammar.  I think the only thing missing is the writing rubics, but you can find similar online if you need them. 

Yes, that's likely what I'll do if I can't find something else just for writing that's cheaper.  I actually already have the TMs from when I used them with my older dd.  I just hate to use half a workbook, but will if it's the best option I can find.

I see you are using Fix-It now.  How does it compare to BJU?

Thanks,

Kathy

Fix It is like the polar opposite of BJU for grammar.  I haven't decided if I love it or not.   It's definitely far less teacher intensive.  I like that they are working with sentences from an actual story and that it fits in copywork, vocab and grammar.  I started my two oldest both in the same level (The Nose Tree), so it's all review for my oldest so far.  This is my middle kiddo's first year using a grammar curriculum and she seems to be grasping the info.  It just seems too simplistic, to cover grammar in minutes a day, (after coming from BJU which kind of beats the concepts until they are dead. lol)  I am going to complete this year and then make a decision if we'll continue or not.  It definitely isn't hurting them, so that's something.   

• 2 weeks later...

Fix It is like the polar opposite of BJU for grammar.  I haven't decided if I love it or not.   It's definitely far less teacher intensive.  I like that they are working with sentences from an actual story and that it fits in copywork, vocab and grammar.  I started my two oldest both in the same level (The Nose Tree), so it's all review for my oldest so far.  This is my middle kiddo's first year using a grammar curriculum and she seems to be grasping the info.  It just seems too simplistic, to cover grammar in minutes a day, (after coming from BJU which kind of beats the concepts until they are dead. lol)  I am going to complete this year and then make a decision if we'll continue or not.  It definitely isn't hurting them, so that's something.   

Thanks for your thoughts on Fix It.  I think most things would be less teacher intensive than BJU, lol.  Learning grammar in context is always helpful, I think.  Do you feel it teaches most of the grammar concepts you'd find in a typical grammar program?  Does it cover any diagramming?

Thanks,

Kathy