Menu

Introduction to higher math?

Is there such thing as a one year course that show the usefulness and concepts of Algebra 2, Trig, and Calculus but without mastery? Sort of an overview course. My daughter will finish Geometry this year. She is doing fine, an average student. She is more artsy though and may not go to college and most likely not a STEM degree if she does. I want her to take statistics and a consumer math course her senior year (much more useful in everyday life than calculus). We could just do Algebra 2 next year but I would like her to be introduced to upper math if possible.

Any suggestions?

I saw this question but couldn't answer because I was trying to remember the name of a book and it just didn't hit me till today.

Precalculus Mathematics in a Nutshell by Simmons

I'm not exactly sure it's what you are looking for though. There's also another book or pdf download (can't remember which) that I remember seeing somewhere. Will keep thinking.

Thank you quark.  The nutshell book looks good but I was hoping for a bit of calculus too.  I may get Understanding Math from Counting to Calculus as it will cover the general concepts all the way to calculus.  It might be a little on the dry side though.  I have gotten a cheap copy of the Joy of Math from Great Courses.  I am pretty sure it will cover the coolness side or at least some fun tricks (I saw parts of it years ago so can't quite remember).  So maybe the two together will accomplish my goals for the year.

I would appreciate any other titles you might remember!  Thanks

• Like 1