Menu

So if you embrace death are you undead? ...

I'm really enjoying my youngest and his friends. Whenever I have them all in the car together, they ask each other questions like this. I have overheard some wildly improbably discussions. They live in another world, a realm where the answers to questions like this mean life or death. They are obsessed with pipe insulators and pool noodles and how to make their own greives (sp?). When they read things like Beowulf, they are very interested in the details and argue over them endlessly. They have absolutely no trouble with negative numbers and don't mind doing arithmetic fast in their heads. One of them even manages to get away with wearing a purple velvet cape to public high school without being slayed. They are very cool people.

Just in case it sounds like I'm completely miserable this fall GRIN,

-Nan, trying to focus on the younger one now that the oldest is gone and the next oldest going

No, you are not undead.

Wikipedia actually has an entry:

Undead is a collective name for beings that the superstitious believe are deceased yet behave as if alive. Undead may be spiritual, such as ghosts, or corporeal, such as vampires and zombies. Undead are featured in the legends of most cultures and in many works of fantasy and horror fiction.

I love these kinds of conversations. My kids think I'm a whacko when I try and ask these type of questions.

Holly

I think my carload came to the same conclusion, but they based their conclusion on the Dungeons and Dragons Monster Manual. You can be sure, though, that with this batch, the philosophical/real-life implications of that conclusion weren't lost. They're a bright bunch and hold these conversations on several levels at once. Suddenly there will be laughter as they realize what sort of real-life place their arguement has taken them, or they'll switch worlds to investigate something and then switch back. Some day I'm going to record a car ride. They use one world as a cover for the other. I supose all fantasy sort of does that, but this seems to be a particularly philosophical sort. When they're not bopping each other over the head with pool noodles, that is. Typical, typical adolescentness GRIN. It is fun to see such an alive group of teenagers.

I think my carload came to the same conclusion, but they based their conclusion on the Dungeons and Dragons Monster Manual. You can be sure, though, that with this batch, the philosophical/real-life implications of that conclusion weren't lost. They're a bright bunch and hold these conversations on several levels at once. Suddenly there will be laughter as they realize what sort of real-life place their arguement has taken them, or they'll switch worlds to investigate something and then switch back. Some day I'm going to record a car ride. They use one world as a cover for the other. I supose all fantasy sort of does that, but this seems to be a particularly philosophical sort. When they're not bopping each other over the head with pool noodles, that is. Typical, typical adolescentness GRIN. It is fun to see such an alive group of teenagers.

I didn't know kids still do D&D.

I enjoy sci fi/philosophy myself. I've told lots of my friends to go read my favorite sci fi/philosophy book The Sparrow. They just think its weird and I never get to have a good discussion about it. It is always nice to have a chat with like-minded friends.

Holly