Menu

I'm looking into TOG and have some Q's (ok, a lot of Q's).....

The Governess

1. Does the program not use a spine for the early grammar stage? Or do the teacher's notes/lesson plans kind of take the place of a spine?

2. If I am using the program for first grade do you recommend simply using the early grammar resource books? Or should I be using some of the upper grammar books also, maybe for read alouds? If I only go through the grammar stage once time and don't use any of the upper grammar books I'm scared I will miss out on some important readings.

3. Are the resource books primarily secular in the grammar stage or primarily Christian? We are Christian, but I want to use the best available literature as opposed to the best available Christian literature, if that makes sense. Will I miss out on any amazing secular literature using this program?

4. Do you find that you use the recommended books most of the time or do you switch out often for others? How highly would you regard their reading lists?

5. Do you have any worries about high school credits? I am years and years away from having high school students, but I worry about colleges not accepting credits based on Christian curriculum. I live in CA and have heard of some court cases where universities did not have to accept credits from Christian curriculum - is there any way this would apply to TOG or is this more of a science course problem? I probably shouldn't even worry about it but I do....I don't know enough about those rulings to really understand the implications of using Christian curriculum at the high school level.

6. Do you see any problem starting this curriculum with a kindergarten student halfway through their K year? We are using FIAR right now and that curriculum will run out for us around January of her K year. I was thinking of starting TOG at that point, spending 1 year on ancients and then 1.5 years on year 2 because I've heard it's a lot to do in one year. Then we will be on track to start year 3 at the beginning of grade 3.

7. Is the history presented chronologically or is it more of a unit study approach? If it's not chronological has anyone tried to organize it that way?

8. Are you happy with the Christian worldview they present? Does it respect other religions and cultures? Is it compassionate? Is it fair? As a mother of an internationally adopted child and someone who is very interested in world cultures in general these are important questions for me.

I told you I had a lot of questions! I promise I did look through old posts first before I wrote all of this out...but I didn't quite find everything I was looking for. This program is complex and expensive and I want to make sure I know what I'm getting into. I looked at their sample lesson and did like it. And yes, I know I am planning way in advance - my oldest is only in preschool right now. But my plan is to take the whole year before we start the program to study ancients *myself* before I attempt to teach it to her. I would like to buy the curriculum a year in advance so I really have a feel for it and maybe even read through the source books before we start. Hey, I can plan, right?? :D

Thanks so much!!!!

1. Does the program not use a spine for the early grammar stage? Or do the teacher's notes/lesson plans kind of take the place of a spine?

I'm using TOG Ancients, and so far there doesn't appear to be a spine in the default resources. SOTW is listed as an alternate resource for UG. Which brings me to the part you might not want to hear: I don't recommend TOG for teaching one LG kid. SOTW with the Activity Guide has plenty for the first go-round of the trivium. If you're planning to use the writing portion of TOG, then MAYBE. But I still don't recommend it for you.

Just by reading your post, and seeing your dc's ages, I'm hearing a new homeschooler with tons of energy and vision and plans and wanting to get everything just right, which also includes a (small) fear of DOING IT WRONG. Now I could be completely off-base here, so just pat me on the head and give me some milk chocolate if it turns out I'm in left field on this. Still, it's normal to be concerned that you're "doing it wrong" when you're still a rookie, and you've got a little guinea pig to teach and experiment upon, and that guinea pig is soaking up everything academic she can get her hands on.

See, the thing about TOG is, it's got a lot of good stuff to choose from, and unless you're confident about your ability to focus on the main things and choose resources accordingly, without worrying about what you choose not to use, TOG will probably frustrate you. That's the complaint I hear most from people who tried TOG and didn't continue with it. I did a lot of research here on the boards before going with it. I heard a lot of people say it was overkill, or too many choices, etc. Most of the people who said that tried using it with one kid in LG. When I looked at all TOG had to offer, I could see their point. A lot of the good stuff is simply lost on the average first-grader.

So that's why I recommend doing SOTW with the AG for grades 1-4, instead of TOG. TOG's best features involve keeping kids at multiple levels on track, having them keep a weekly schedule independently, etc. Those happen to be the precise reasons I chose it for this year -- I've got three kids to teach for the first time.

2. If I am using the program for first grade do you recommend simply using the early grammar resource books? Or should I be using some of the upper grammar books also, maybe for read alouds? If I only go through the grammar stage once time and don't use any of the upper grammar books I'm scared I will miss out on some important readings.

If you decide to go with TOG after all, then you will have plenty on your plate using the recommended resources. You can use the UG books if you want, if you have the time and energy; or you can ignore them completely.

Here's an idea or two: search the boards here for the "must-have" Ancients books, and consider picking up a copy of Christine Miller's "All Through the Ages." Go through the book lists and pick the top 10-20 UG books -- the ones mentioned over and over again. Then squeeze those in where you can. You'll never be able to get to all of the best books. It simply isn't possible.

Another thing... I'm also seeing that you've got a 4yo doing ETC 3. I take it she's reading? My oldest was the same way. Do not be surprised if your dd is able to read those UG books herself at some point in the next year or two. You might also find that your future dialectic student will enjoy reading the UG or even the LG books for pleasure during her second trip through the 4-year cycle. I assigned some "easier" books for my oldest just this week, and she flew through them. Bottom line: be prepared for your dd to take all your carefully laid plans and chuck 'em out the window. :D

3. Are the resource books primarily secular in the grammar stage or primarily Christian? We are Christian, but I want to use the best available literature as opposed to the best available Christian literature, if that makes sense. Will I miss out on any amazing secular literature using this program?

I haven't looked at all the resources thoroughly, but there's a good mix, as far as I can tell. There's nothing to stop you from using a title that doesn't appear anywhere in TOG, anyway. If you do your homework ahead of time on which books to use, then choosing to substitute a title will be that much easier.

4. Do you find that you use the recommended books most of the time or do you switch out often for others? How highly would you regard their reading lists?

I don't have enough experience with the program to answer this well. A lot of it has to do with what you're willing to own and what you're able to get from the library. If you've got a great library system that carries most of the titles, you may not have to substitute much.

5. Do you have any worries about high school credits? I am years and years away from having high school students, but I worry about colleges not accepting credits based on Christian curriculum. I live in CA and have heard of some court cases where universities did not have to accept credits from Christian curriculum - is there any way this would apply to TOG or is this more of a science course problem? I probably shouldn't even worry about it but I do....I don't know enough about those rulings to really understand the implications of using Christian curriculum at the high school level.

I also live in CA, and I'm not worried about high school yet. Your oldest is only 4yo; a lot can change between now and 9th grade. Set that bridge on fire when it really, really is time to jump off.

6. Do you see any problem starting this curriculum with a kindergarten student halfway through their K year? We are using FIAR right now and that curriculum will run out for us around January of her K year. I was thinking of starting TOG at that point, spending 1 year on ancients and then 1.5 years on year 2 because I've heard it's a lot to do in one year. Then we will be on track to start year 3 at the beginning of grade 3.

I just don't expect K'ers, even bright ones, to get lots out of any history curriculum, but that goes back to my original point. Otherwise, your plan sounds like a fine one.

7. Is the history presented chronologically or is it more of a unit study approach? If it's not chronological has anyone tried to organize it that way?

I guess I sort of see it as a hybrid. It's basically chronological (once you get to week 7 in Year 1, anyway), but there are a lot of unit study aspects to it. It depends on how you want to use it.

8. Are you happy with the Christian worldview they present? Does it respect other religions and cultures? Is it compassionate? Is it fair? As a mother of an internationally adopted child and someone who is very interested in world cultures in general these are important questions for me.

I don't have enough experience with the program to tell you, except that it is a Christian worldview, and they do try to be faithful to the Bible -- seeing "Bible heroes" warts and all; seeing the Egyptian culture, for example, as being very advanced for its time but still in the dark when it comes to the knowledge of the true God. I haven't seen the other years to know how it handles cultures of other time periods. Hopefully some other posters can give you insight into this.

I told you I had a lot of questions! I promise I did look through old posts first before I wrote all of this out...but I didn't quite find everything I was looking for. This program is complex and expensive and I want to make sure I know what I'm getting into. I looked at their sample lesson and did like it. And yes, I know I am planning way in advance - my oldest is only in preschool right now. But my plan is to take the whole year before we start the program to study ancients *myself* before I attempt to teach it to her. I would like to buy the curriculum a year in advance so I really have a feel for it and maybe even read through the source books before we start. Hey, I can plan, right?? :D

Just don't burn yourself out. It's easy to think you have to do that much planning, that much in advance, every single year, and then up the ante to top yourself each year. Not a good long-term plan for peace and happiness. (Another good reason to do SOTW instead.) Your time might be better spent compiling a booklist, and reading SWB's History of the Ancient World. (I'm still somewhere in Mesopotamia/Egypt -- had to stop reading so I could start planning TOG for the year, LOL.)

Good luck, and happy planning! I hope you find exactly what you need to have a successful teaching experience.

There are various spines, but usually in a year's time only 3 or 4. For Lower Grammar sometimes the spine is Usborne history encyclopedias unless there is a book that is chosen by TOG to serve as a spine.

First grade = lower grammar, yes and nothing else except maybe a read aloud that has been designated for LG, UG and D- even these I decide on a book by book basis b/c we may read it aloud next time we'll go through the year plan. You won't miss anything by jumping from LG to D in a year plan, and once you have a Dialectic level child, you can assign UG readings for independent reading if you wish.

As a United Methodist family, we're not into reformed theology and tend to use secular products because we don't want books preaching God to our children. TOG's selections for the most part are secular or neutral (don't mention any preference either way) with a few Christian books- like books on missionaries. This week we're reading in Lower Grammar:

1. Napoleon The Little Corporal (neutral)

2. Of Courage Undaunted (neutral so far, we're in Part I)

3. Rapunzel (neutral)

4. William Carey (missionary book) - this is assigned under Church History

So far I highly regard their book list. I've decided to buy all the TOG books we'll use since we have a younger child that will use them too. I've also decided to purge our home library of any books we don't need for history that we may have hanging around b/c I'm so happy with TOG's book selection.

I don't know the answer to this but it is also something that will change as time marches on so I think this is a decision best left to when you're (and I'm) closer to that point. I did choose TOG after looking at all the levels in the sample and making sure I would be satisfied with using it through all the levels.

Each family has to decide for themselves what is best for their children. I personally will not start our youngest with TOG until 1st grade in Year 1 but I have classically aged children (4 years apart exactly). Our dd8 will be in 5th grade when ds4 is in 1st. We plan to spend his K year doing world geography with Galloping the Globe instead of history but he'll be able to sit in with his older sister as she reads through TOG Year 4 if he wants.

Chronologically.

Yes, yes, yes- as far as I can see. The use of Operation World and Windows on the World are scheduled in the alternatives. In the older levels - UG, D, R there is more discussion about the world stage than there is in LG.

I hope this helps, I answered as best I could. :)

Hi, I can't answer all these Q's, :001_smile: but here are a few answers:

1. Does the program not use a spine for the early grammar stage?

The books listed as "History:Core" would be the spine books.

If I am using the program for first grade do you recommend simply using the early grammar resource books? Or should I be using some of the upper grammar books also, maybe for read alouds? If I only go through the grammar stage once time and don't use any of the upper grammar books I'm scared I will miss out on some important readings.

Actually, a first grader will use LG now and then UG in 5th. Here is how TOG defines their levels (copied from the TOG website):

Lower Grammar

Non-fluent reader

Approximately grades K-3

Enjoys learning basic facts

Upper Grammar

Independent reader

Approximately grades 3-6

Enjoys memorizing concrete, sequential facts

Dialectic

Reads to learn

Approximately grades 6-9

Enjoys making connections and learning to debate

Rhetoric

Reads the Great Books

Approximately grades 9-12

Enjoys analyzing and synthesizing ideas and arguments

The Dia reading assignments are challenging but doable for my 7th grader. There is no way that my 5th grader could handle all the Dia reading. Instead, my 5th grader reads mostly UG with 1 or 2 Dia assignments each week.

Trivium Academy is correct! TOG has a great book list.

As a matter of fact.... If you decide to use SOTW now but know that TOG is in your future, I highly recommend you start investing in those wonderful books now. Then when you start TOG full time, your younger children will get to benefit from the TOG books without you needing to buy more books for them! (Personally, I wish that we had started with TOG from the beginning, but agree with FlockOfSillies that it's hard to learn to pick-n-choose.)

Thank you all soooooo much for taking the time to respond to these questions. Your answers have really cleared some things up for me.

FlockofSillies - I'm less concerned about doing it wrong than I am about not planning enough for dd4. She just keeps surprising me with how much schooling she demands from me. I find myself scrambling halfway through the week because we've already exhausted all the lessons I had planned for her!

You've guessed correctly that I am a planner. I am, BIG TIME. :001_smile: In fact, planning is one of my favorite activities - it rarely feels like a chore. But, I am definitely NOT a perfectionist. If we only get through half of the lesson plans on our list, I would be completely happy with that. I just feel so much better knowing that all of the extra plans are there in case we DO have the time/energy to use them. Does that make sense?

The reason I am considering starting TOG in grade 1 rather than just use SOTW is that I like the idea of using the same curriculum throughout our homeschooling. For me, history for the grammar years is like a warm-up. They might not absorb or understand everything, but *I* will learn a lot over that four year period, and become comfortable with the curriculum so that when we cycle through for the second time and the stakes are a little higher we will all be ready for it.

Thanks for your input re: LG vs. UG. I think I probably will use a combination of both. Yes, dd4 is already reading at a second grade level. I guess I will have to choose on a book-by-book basis. Also, when dd2 does ancients for the first time, she will be in 3rd grade, so a combination of UG and LG will be appropriate for her once she gets there too and we can re-use more resources that way.

Trivium Academy - thanks so much, especially your comments re: the type of Christian content in the curriculum. I also don't want my kids to be preached at through our curriculum. I would rather expose them to the bible and history in an unbiased manner and allow them to think what they will about it. Glad to see that someone else with this concern is happy with TOG. And I'm glad to hear that you regard their reading list so highly.

TMarie - thanks for posting those reading level descriptions! That is a big help. I am so excited to begin building a great library of books for the girls - I LOVE reading and have been so excited that dd4 loves it too. :001_smile:

You've guessed correctly that I am a planner. I am, BIG TIME. :001_smile: In fact, planning is one of my favorite activities - it rarely feels like a chore. But, I am definitely NOT a perfectionist. If we only get through half of the lesson plans on our list, I would be completely happy with that. I just feel so much better knowing that all of the extra plans are there in case we DO have the time/energy to use them. Does that make sense?

Perfect sense and you do seem to be someone who would enjoy and flourish with TOG! I was worried too like Flock of Sillies b/c we came to TOG after using SOTW but it was through a process of learning what works for us and what doesn't. :)

my plan is to take the whole year before we start the program to study ancients *myself* before I attempt to teach it to her. I would like to buy the curriculum a year in advance so I really have a feel for it and maybe even read through the source books before we start. Hey, I can plan, right?? :D

This is what I plan to do as well. I'll start Year 1 in 1st grade, but I'll probably buy it sometime during our K year. I just want to get myself comfortable with the format.

I'm also making a list of the Classics (Both from TOG and other Classical resources) for myself to read, starting now. I wasn't exposed to hardly any of them in school so I want to read them.

I know a lot of people feel TOG is silly to use in the Grammar years (early Grammar especially)..but I look at it like this: I'm going to use it later anyway. I'm going to be paying for it later anyway. Why not go ahead and get it early on, when our other expenses won't be so high? That way we have it...I'll have 4 years to wrap my brain around the format and material....and then when other subjects (like science!!) start getting more expensive, I won't have to shell out for TOG at the same time.

For 1st grade, I'm sure we'll mostly play around with TOG...doing activities and crafts, reading some of the books together....but I'd rather spend the money on TOG, when I know I'll keep using it...than spend the money elsewhere, only to end up buying TOG later anyway.

Thanks for posting this by the way. It's been helpful!

We use TOG and I have really loved it. I agree with most of what has already been shared, but I will also say that I think the best thing for grammar stage is SOTW. I'm so glad we used that for our first rotation of history. It is a great program that I would have hated to miss. I credit it with giving my kids a great love of history that has carried over into our second rotation.

We started this year with TOG and our youngest dd(5) is a K student. I think TOG is great for K as long as you keep things light and fun. TOG has LOTS of fun crafts and activities and great books. We are only on our second week but I am amazed what my dd(5) has already learned. We have read wonderful books, colored pages of pyramids/egypt, colored maps of egypt, and did some of the crafts. She loves TOG and since we started using it she says she loves homeschool and it is so much fun. She really shocked her grandparents yesterday with everything she knew about Egypt....she drew a picture of the Nile River, told them how pyramids and mummies are made, told the story of Moses...etc. She knows more about Egypt at five years old then I ever learned in ps:tongue_smilie:.

We're in our second year of using SOTW as our spine. The two jive together beautifully. We use SOTW Activity Guide as well, which sounds like overkill, but I pick and choose between the two (SOTWAG activities and TOG-recommended activities) and am very pleased with what we've done.

I see your dc is reading well ahead of her age, so you could use both LG and UG sources. Some UG recommended books are too textbooky even for my dd10; others have been well-suited for ds7; some weeks we only read LG stuff. Depends on what's available at the library. :001_smile: That fear of missing out on something important bugs me too (must!check!every!box!on!the!list!) but it will fade as you do TOG longer and see how MUCH your kids are learning.

Any program will necessarily leave out something else that might be amazing. Stop thinking that way. :D Seriously - I have always been enormously pleased with the book recommendations. Some are secular, some Christian. I can't really think of a dud.

Recommended, most of the time. I prefer to use library books (rather than purchase) so I look at Veritas Press and SOTWAG for additional reading suggestions if our library doesn't have TOG's recommendation. There is way more than enough between those three sources to locate applicable books.

I am keeping tomorrow's worries out there in the future - while I understand the concern - the rulings I heard were specifically at Univ of Calif schools who declined Christian school science curricula.

Sounds good to me - we are in year 2 and I have said many times to dh that I can see taking two real-time years to cover TOG Year 2 at a higher level. It's loaded.

I see it as both - a chronological unit study. Definitely chronological, and it applies the week's core theme to all the subjects included in the curric.

So far (we're in week 8 of Year 2) yes - but we are of a similar strain of Christian belief as the authors. We have learned objectively about China, Middle East, Egypt, Greece, Rome - their daily life, contributions, etc - through the lens of a worldview that holds Jesus Christ as the only way to God. Great stuff about world cultures, with deep concern for eternity.

You might consider, as I mentioned above, using SOTW as your spine because it does include even more world culture study than TOG.

I know a previous poster mentioned that TOG's strengths include how well it works for families with kids on multiple levels - absolutely - but I don't know that I wouldn't recommend it for families with just one or two kids. It has many other strengths as well, and for our family its focus on God's plan through history has been particularly valuable.

And if you're a Planning Queen - you'll love it. :)

Why tell them? I don't think this will be any problem with TOG. However, I also think you could create a course description, list what you did and studied, and never refer to the curriculum by name. Or any curriculum.

I'm also making a list of the Classics (Both from TOG and other Classical resources) for myself to read, starting now. I wasn't exposed to hardly any of them in school so I want to read them.

I know a lot of people feel TOG is silly to use in the Grammar years (early Grammar especially)..but I look at it like this: I'm going to use it later anyway. I'm going to be paying for it later anyway. Why not go ahead and get it early on, when our other expenses won't be so high? That way we have it...I'll have 4 years to wrap my brain around the format and material....and then when other subjects (like science!!) start getting more expensive, I won't have to shell out for TOG at the same time.

I am also planning on reading the classics! I just bought a copy of TWEM and am so excited to start doing some major learning. And yes, if you're planning on spending the money on TOG later anyways then it makes sense to buy it now and "break it in" a bit. =) I'm SO with you.

We use TOG and I have really loved it. I agree with most of what has already been shared, but I will also say that I think the best thing for grammar stage is SOTW. I'm so glad we used that for our first rotation of history. It is a great program that I would have hated to miss. I credit it with giving my kids a great love of history that has carried over into our second rotation.

We're in our second year of using SOTW as our spine. The two jive together beautifully. We use SOTW Activity Guide as well, which sounds like overkill, but I pick and choose between the two (SOTWAG activities and TOG-recommended activities) and am very pleased with what we've done.

I have heard so many great things about SOTW that I feel like I really need to at least buy it and look through it. It's nice to know that you can use both together as an option as well.