Menu

Another math option out there....

Because I'm a math turtle, I had to take Intermediate Algebra this semester at the local CC.

They use this program:

Hawkes

I'm putting this out there because it's pretty painless, self graded, and has videos.  It isn't the *easiest* program to sort through, but I liked it well enough.  So, I was curious if they would be open to allowing homeschoolers use the program.

They are!

You can order the access code off their site ($78) and the e-book (($10) and have full access.  

For a school, you enter the code: ISTUDYPIA

Hope that helps someone!  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Updating:

This was worse than useless, IMO.  

Longer story:

DS had taken Algebra I via TT and Foeresters his freshman year.  He had worked about half way through TT 2 and wasn't learning much new from having done Foerester's Algebra I.  So we decided to have him take the Compass test at the community college.  He almost placed into College Algebra (their Algebra 3) - the pre-req to Calculus, but did not and so needed to take Intermediate Algebra.  Because we have state maximums on how many credits he can take in a school year and because he was taking other classes, we opted to have him NOT take the course, but instead used the curriculum for the preceding class.  

We knew most of it would be review.  It was complete review with the exception of one thing.  We retook the Compass test this last week.  He did not move ONE point.  Not one. 

It was a total waste of time.  I watched him use it and it was not great teaching and a fairly frustrating format.  I had used it last semester but at the end of the day, if you hit a wall, there would be no help for the homeschooler that doesn't have access to tutoring or outside help.  Just an FYI.  Awful program.

We are going to do TT Pre-Calc at double speed.  He wants to do Foerester Algebra and Trig this year over this semester and the summer.  Then instead of letting Compass place him, we'll let his ACT scores do it.  Apparently Compass isn't the most accurate way to place a child simply because the test can shut off and then auto-grade if there are gaps in their knowledge base?  For example, if Junior knows A, B, C, not D, but E, F, and G, then when he hits D he may miss enough for the test to shut off before accurately measuring his knowledge as a whole.  Or so I've been told. The ACT is more accurate because the child completes the entire test.   

At any rate, I do *not* recommend Hawkes.  

Updating so that no one else uses it.  

• Like 1