Menu

Spoken Rhetoric with Well-Trained Mind Academy -- Any reviews?

I have no experience with the Spoken Rhetoric class, but my son is taking the related middle school Socratic Discussion class, taught by the same instructor, Mrs. Swanson. I've been very pleased with his experience.

At first DS was pretty shy about speaking over the microphone during class, but the instructor is very skilled at making the kids feel comfortable expressing themselves. She is kind, supportive, and provides good feedback. The course has covered exactly what was advertised. The assignments are appropriate for the target age and I see the value in each of them. The workload isn't heavy in terms of physical output, but there's a lot of analytical thinking and contemplating. At the beginning, the pace was slower, and then it gradually ramped up. DS now spends about 1.5 to 2 hours per week on assignments outside of class, which seems just right for this age and the nature of the course. My son truly looks forward to the live class every week.

This class is new to WTMA this semester, as is Mrs. Swanson. But it is clear that Mrs. Swanson is an experienced, skilled teacher. I'm really glad DS has had the opportunity to take Socratic Discussion. With only one kid and limited local resources, I couldn't do a class like this at home. I consider it time and money well spent.

• Like 7