Menu

Bought the Magiscope. Now, what slides do we want to use?

So, I ended up convincing DH to buy the Brock Magiscope. Now, I am trying to decide on the best slide kit for my son. The reviews on these seems to be mixed: http://www.amazon.com/AmScope-PS200-Biology-Prepared-Homeschool/dp/B004YWTKX8/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1447345497&sr=8-14&keywords=amscope+slide

I also saw these, but they seem pricey compared to the Amscope slides. Are they worth it? http://www.hometrainingtools.com/microscopes/prepared-slides/slide-sets

What microscope slides have you really liked? Where did you buy them? Thanks!

• Like 1

For prepared slides, given that you have a toddler, I'd suggest getting at least some of the ones in the cardboard sleeves.  They're listed as "kids' slides" at the second link.  We have these ones from Learning Resources, which are pretty good for what they are.

Likewise, it's helpful to have something along the lines of a plastic petri dish, to keep with the Magiscope.  My children have made much use of a square clear plastic lid from a large box of binder clips.  Maybe not the thing for precision work, but great for puddle water and wet foliage.  :001_smile:   

We also have glass slides, but I've found it very handy to have some equipment that can be made available for unsupervised use around little ones -- or by little ones! -- without concern about injury. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

How long did it take for you to receive it?  Did you get a shipping notice/tracking number?  I caved and purchased last weekend (since I saw it still available at HSBC).  We will be out of town for a couple days next week and I'm wondering if it will just arrive out of the blue (in which case, I can ask the neighbor to keep an eye out) or if we will get a shipping notice (haven't yet).  

How long did it take for you to receive it? Did you get a shipping notice/tracking number? I caved and purchased last weekend (since I saw it still available at HSBC). We will be out of town for a couple days next week and I'm wondering if it will just arrive out of the blue (in which case, I can ask the neighbor to keep an eye out) or if we will get a shipping notice (haven't yet).

I did not get a shipping notice; it appeared out of the blue. I forget how long it took.