Menu

Classical Writing Homer

Tarheel Heather

I would like to know more about this program as well. We are using Writing/Reading strands this year...and it's okay...and I'd love to see what other options are out there. I do not have a reluctant writer at all...but she does need some guidance on form...and I'd like to know if this might be a good fit for her. Looking forward to hearing the responses.

I started CW when my oldest was 10. He's stronger in math and really hates the physical part of writing, so I chose to begin with CW Aesop B. In addition, I wanted to include my 9-year old, and I felt a little intimidated with the program at first.

You can see the CW progression here: http://home.att.net/~mikejaqua/whichbookstobuy.html

If your son is a strong writer and has done any of the Imitation in Writing series (I found the key work outlining similar to Aesop), then you could go ahead into Homer A. Homer A does provide some review of Aesop in the beginning lessons. If you son is more relunctant to write, then you might want to back up and go with Aesop B.

I've never seen JAG, but from my experience you can use any grammar program with CW. If you come to a term that is unfamiliar, look it up, learn it, and move on. I use R&S grammar independent of the CW lessons, and that has worked fine so far.

HTH!

I was really unsure what to do. I couldnt see the program, didnt know anybody using it and couldnt get a clear picture in my mind from the info on the net.

So we jumped into Homer A. It has been just fine. She is doing very well with the writing and the grammar. We had completed BJU grammar and Winston 1 so her grammar was solid. But, writing was a real struggle for her. We have been able to do 1 lesson per week up until Week 9. That lesson took 2 weeks and I know Week 10 will take 2 weeks as well. Not sure if this will be the trend the remaining lessons or not. I use Harvey's as a grammar review.

We recently started Aesop A with my 3rd grader. It is very easy for her. She is having no difficulties at all and I wonder if I should have started her in Aesop B. I am doing GWG 3 with her and it is a fine fit. She is enjoying the program quite a bit. But, again, it is not very challenging so far - we are on week 4.

HTH!