Menu

Those of you w/medicated ADHD kids, a question

Plucky

My 10 yob has ADHD and is medicated. The medication has made a huge impact on his ability to listen, understand verbal directions, comprehend written words, and retain the information. The only thing is he races through his work. He is getting most stuff right but it takes a toll on his math work. I'm not sure he'll ever be an attention to details kind of person but when multiplying 2 3-digit numbers one has to take their time. This is hard for him.

Does this sound normal for an ADHD kiddo? I'm guessing it is. The good thing is he doesn't dawdle anymore. Thanks for any info. you have.

My DS is 12, and has always raced through EVERYTHING, school and non-school. He has never bothered to pay attention to detail, never worries about errors, doesn't see the errors anyway.

He is on meds, which do help tremendously in his being able to pay attention, help somewhat with his retention, and don't do much in terms of his impulsivity, carelessness, or lack of interest in anything outside his narrow range of interest.

Michelle T

My ADD-inattentive dd did this at age 10 with multiplication as well. She is now 12 and does wonderfully. I used grid paper to help line up the problems as well as having her go back and do the wrong ones over again. She still uses grid paper now, out of preference, but doesn't necessarily need to use it. Turning the notebook paper sideways and using the resulting columns also helps to line things up.

Ava

• 5 weeks later...

(9.5 yo ADHD/dyslexic on adderall).....

I have resorted to paying her a penny for each step of her work that she shows and for correct answers.

She just really doesn't like going through the motions of math, this gives her a reason to slow down and pay attention.

It was a tricky move for me. I'm very alfie-cohn-punished-by-rewards oriented and believe in intrinsic rewards.

But my kid doesn't, at least not with math.

For her intensive direct instruction phonics (Wilson...60 min per day), she gets a 'pokemon point' every two minutes of working with me, on the task at hand, with a joyful heart (so 30 points per day). We use math counters (square chips)....she tosses one in the bucket when the timer goes off.....if I see she's on the verge of 'too much', i have her toss in another point *while she's still even keeled* to reward the even keeled behavior and effort. It works to bring it back.

300 pokemon points is a large pack of pokemon cards.

Hate it. But it works so well for her. Math has been moving along literally in leaps and bounds. Reading too.

Wishing you all the best,

Katherine