Menu

Bare bones American history (output related)

I'm using Beautiful Feet Early American (and World, but it's mostly American) History with my 9th grader. She LOVES ancient history, and is excited to do middle ages... but she really despises American history. We're hitting the cycle again next year, so she'll get more of what she loves, but she HAS to do a year of American (state requirement). 

What would be the bare minimum output you would be comfortable accepting in a situation such as this? I'm not interested in changing programs again. I've tried half a dozen texts, living book sets, and programs for American history and she just doesn't care for the stream - it has nothing to do with the program used.

We do have the student guide for BF American History, but it's a lot of busywork.

Aimee,

I don't fully understand part of your question, but maybe I can get the ball rolling.

We used MFW for ancient and world history.  Those had steady output required.

In 11th grade, when it was time to do American history, I bought The Great Courses History of the United States 2nd edition.

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/history/history-of-the-united-states-2nd-edition.html

As for output. That year, dd had pre-calculus, honors biology, and an outsourced Comp II (American lit) class. Because we homeschool, I could tailor the history class to fit our situation.  The goal for dd's American history was to listen to the lecturers, take notes, and discuss the topic with her dad and/or me.  I did not test.  For dd, this course hit the nail on the head.  She LOVED it, and she learned so much. (ETA: By doing American history this way, dd had time to focus on her heavier coursework.  History did not have to be unnecessarily hard or time consuming.)

I did borrow an idea from MFW.  In 11th grade, dd listened to half of the Amreican history course and then completed the Notgrass Government course.  This year in 12th grade, she is completing the American history course and pairing that with economics and personal finance.  I have made a slight change to history in 12th grade.  There are around six big topics covered this year.... Civil War, WWI, Great Depression, WWII, Vietnam War, Present-day situation....With each one I'm having her complete a project of her own choosing.  She has to research the topic, create a workable thesis around a primary issue/person, and make some sort of presentation or paper.  She can incorporate art and/or music, and she can use the computer.... Powerpoint, for example.  The sky in the limit.  She is LOVING this as well. 

The bottom line.... I think that the output can be variable. We learned the value of discussion when we used MFW.  If the student can discuss a topic showing a grasp of knowledge, you can say that a level of mastery has been achieved.  History is a content subject.  As such, you can treat it differently from a subject that is skill based- math, for example.  Obviously, there are some who prefer AP American history.  I think you just have to decide how important history is in the grand scheme.  If your student is going to major in history in college, you would want to tailor your high school class to require the kind of output that would prepare for college.  For us, dd isn't planning for history to be her major.  She loves the stories of history, and that is how she wanted to studey high school history.  The way we've done American history has been a good fit for us.

What I didn't understand about your post.... You will finish BF EA history in 9th and you don't want to change programs for American history? I didn't use BF, so maybe this is why I'm having trouble with that point.  I sympathize with you for trying so many programs.  It can be hard to find something that is a good fit. I'm not sure how to offer help within BF.  Maybe someone else can chime in for that.

• Like 3

I'm using Beautiful Feet Early American (and World, but it's mostly American) History with my 9th grader. She LOVES ancient history, and is excited to do middle ages... but she really despises American history. We're hitting the cycle again next year, so she'll get more of what she loves, but she HAS to do a year of American (state requirement). 

What would be the bare minimum output you would be comfortable accepting in a situation such as this? I'm not interested in changing programs again. I've tried half a dozen texts, living book sets, and programs for American history and she just doesn't care for the stream - it has nothing to do with the program used.

We do have the student guide for BF American History, but it's a lot of busywork.

The state is the LAST thing I'd worry about when designing a curriculum for a student.  I'd look at:

• What are your overall goals for your dd's schooling?  External things like college apps, specific skills such as reading and writing, basic content knowledge (for citizenship, for cultural literacy, for cross-curriculum issues), things like being aware of family history and historical events that impacted that, and so on.
  • What are your goals for this particular history course?  What parts of your overall curriculum can or should be folded into this class?  Would it be a good place to practice reading non-fiction?  Fiction?  Would it be a good place to put some writing?   Does she need practice in "read this thing, answer questions about it"?  Would you like her to give some presentations or speeches?  Write a research paper?  Does she have other interests that could be worked into the course, such as sewing or acting or building things?  
  • If she doesn't care for American History in general, is there something she does care for that could be a focus of the course?  Perhaps instead of the usual focus on wars and government, she could look at the history of fashion, or social movements, or immigration waves, or minority issues, or music?  Perhaps she'd be interested in Native American history, or the history of your particular town or state?  Perhaps history related to your cultural heritage - for example, Chinese immigrants in California, or Italian immigrants in Philadelphia, or Appalachian history and issues, or whatever?  
  • Could she pick one of the above topics and write a research paper about it?  Could she pick a specific issue or time period or movement that interests her and focus on that for half of the year, instead of trying to do a broader-but-shallower swathe of history?  Could she focus on family history, and bring in bits and pieces of the history that touched their lives?
  • Could she combine a variety of experiences into 120 hours or so to create a course?  See a play, create a historically-correct costume, visit four local historical sites (and write a page about each one, or create a "brochure" for each), give a presentation to a group of younger homeschoolers, write a children's book, etc. etc.?   
  • When you say she HAS to do a year of American - what does this mean?  Who does she need to prove this to, and what are their standards for "a year" or "a credit" or "a course"?  Can you find some examples of how other students have met this requirement?

Perhaps ask her more about what about ancient history interests her, and see if you can relate that in some way to her study of the US?

• Like 1

Bare minimum?  Some kind of project or paper on each book.  In 8th grade (private, classical school), my dd's history teacher let them make lego scenes as their projects.  Or take pictures of the lego scenes and make it a power point with a plot.  Would she like something like that?

Also, for American history, I'd make sure she knew the bare minimum I wanted her to know.  For example, right now, my dd is practicing the Star Spangled Banner every day because she was getting some of the words wrong.  Things like that.

• Like 1

Or...

Find a text/living book (narrative would be good) that your daughter will accept and do any of the following:

1. Read, annotate, and discuss with you.

2. Read and write a narration of the daily reading. (Improves writing skills.)

3. Read and outline the daily reading. (Improves writing/thinking skills.)

4. Read and take Cornell notes on the daily reading. (Develops a skill needed in college.)

We are doing #1 with several economics books, and it is working very well. Dd is learning lots, and I know that she learning because I am reading and annotating also.

Fwiw, I think requiring papers, projects, etc. on a subject that does not interest the student won't be any more appealing that working through a traditional course. Any of the above cover the material without a lot of fuss and bother, and some of the options build important skills. You know your child, so I would make the work as streamlined and painless as possible.

Or...

Turn this is class into college credits (6) by studying for CLEP U.S. History 1 and CLEP U.S. History 2. Sometimes the idea of earning college credits is motivating. U.S. History I & 2 are usually on the list of accepted CLEPs for colleges that accept CLEP.  With this option, your daughter won't have to take U.S. History in college. Dd is prepping for U.S. History I CLEP now as follows: 1) Reading and taking Cornell notes on the REA CLEP guides, working with InstantCert flashcards, and watching/taking quizzes on the CLEP U.S. History 1 lectures from study.com.

• Like 4