Menu

CLE phonics

KrissiK

So, I started my first grader on CLE first grade phonics this year and love it. She's really learning. However, and maybe this is just the "rule follower" in me, I'd like to use it for my next daughter who will be a kindergartener next year. But it's a first grade curriculum. So, she'll be a kinder doing first grade curriculum. And if we keep going like that will sometime she hit a wall? I don't want to put off starting her in school another year. She turned 5 in October, which means she missed the cut off for kinder her in California and I do prefer to keep her with her cohort, in case we decide at some point to put her in school. But I think she's too old to keep out another year after this one, just so I can start her in first grade. This happened to another child, with another curriculum. I started him early, to keep him with his brother, but he did hit a wall around second grade and he ended up having to repeat a year with another curriculum.

Do you mean the "Learning to Read" books? I've been using them with my year with my kindergartner, and I've loved them as well. I've reduced the amount of writing a bit, but other than that, they've been perfect for her. 

As far as hitting a wall goes, I think it's hard to know in advance, unfortunately. I've run into that, too, but it hasn't always been in subjects I expected. Thank goodness we have the flexibility as homeschoolers to slow down when that happens! :) 

I had a ds with an Oct birthday and he did CLE Learning to Read during his official K year (when he turned 6). (During his PreK year he did some Explode the Code). Then when he was officially in 1st grade, he did CLE LA. After a certain point in LTR you are supposed to add the LA, but we just waited.

I have another ds with an Oct birthday; he just turned 5. I'll probably start LTR with him sometime next spring or summer. He has a lot of preschool workbooks to keep him busy until then. I'll wait on the 1st grade LA until he's actually in 1st grade; there's no need to get ahead in that because it's plenty challenging later on!