Menu

Older progym-style writing for grammar stage?

Narnian

Are there any vintage / public domain books that teach the progym? I've found many gems through the numerous discussions here of vintage grammar, math, and spelling texts, but would love to know if something like this exists for progymnasmata-style writing instruction.

• Like 1

You could look at "The Progressive Composition Lessons:  Book one-[three], third and fourth-[seventh and eighth] years, Book 1" by Ida M. Brautigam, or try looking up William Henry Maxwell - he has a number of books in the public domain.  One which looks useful for elocution, and writing, is "Speaking and Writing: For use in fourth year classes, Book Two.

I may be wrong, but I don't think the progym used to be introduced that early (elementary). I think things like Writing and Rhetoric and Classical Writing are both spread out more (ergo introduced earlier) than done classically. It is rhetorical study, so probably starting for those in the 12-15 year old range.

• Like 1

Here's an English translation of some Greek texts discussing the progym. Not public domain (new translation) but super-helpful. 

http://www.amazon.com/Progymnasmata-Textbooks-Composition-Rhetoric-Greco-Roman/dp/158983061X

The exercises are definitely geared towards the early teen boy-but girls would no doubt enjoy them too- with the goal of teaching in insolation the skills needed for developing the five parts of a classical speech. The examples involve quite mature themes-Socrate's sex life, why you should marry (or not), plus the fun of going into gory detail about why someone is really bad (you get to start with their Grandparents).