Menu

How is the transition to AAR3?

ExcitedMama

DS is flying through AAR2 and asking usually to do two lessons a day so it will be finished in about another two weeks. How is the transition to AAR3? Does it take about the same amount of time per day? How long are the fluency sheets? He loves the sentences but hates just reading the words on the sheet so that takes longer. I'm trying to figure out how to plan his day and what materials to order depending on how much time AAR3 will take up. Thanks!

Mine have never gone so fast as to want two lessons per day!  I bet that's nice!  In the past, we would often break the lessons into two days (more so with AAR2 than 3).  We are on lesson 15-ish in AAR3.  I like it much better than AAR2.  The lessons seem so much shorter to me.  The fluency pages are shorter.  They just have sentences listed one time, not re-reading the first part three times, if you know what I mean from previous levels.  We tend to skip the single words at the beginning because they are often repeats of the flashcards or games or are in the sentences below.  We do some of the challenge words (or whatever they are called after the sentences).  Also, the games are easy to skip if your kid doesn't care about them.  Mine like them so we do them, but they could easily be skipped (I spend more time cutting than it takes to read the flippers or play the "game").  I like the pace of AAR3 better, too.  It seems to be moving on ahead with this reading business!

• Like 2

We just finished AAR3 last week. I find that we are moving faster as we go. For instance, with AAR1, we spent 4 or 5 days per lesson. With AAR2, we spent about 2 days per lesson, and AAR3 was 1 day per lesson. The fluency pages are much shorter, as previously mentioned.

If he is picking up the phonics and developing fluency that quickly, I would think about possibly only getting the TG and readers and quickly going through the level 3 phonograms and rules. I've done AAR with only the TG in the past while we were traveling. It worked for me in a pinch, and I think it would work fine for a student that is zooming through.

• Like 2

Thank you both! I'm so glad to hear that it is going faster! DS loves all the activities and even reading sentences but a page of just words makes for a grumpy boy.

Kalusignan are you going on to AAR4? I'm worried about getting there too fast since the words seem so much harder so I'd love to hear how it goes if you are going to use it. I haven't seen many reviews for 3 or 4 for some reason.

Kalusignan are you going on to AAR4? I'm worried about getting there too fast since the words seem so much harder so I'd love to hear how it goes if you are going to use it. I haven't seen many reviews for 3 or 4 for some reason.

I have AAR4, but we haven't started yet because we are moving right now. Plan is to start next week. From what I've heard, some people skip AAR4 simply because their DC become very fluent during AAR3 and they don't feel the need to continue. Or, they need something more independent.

Every child is different. My dd needs the direct instruction and work on fluency, so we are continuing. :) My dd3 started to teach herself CVC blending...so I think I'll be starting AAR1 with her as soon as I finish AAR4 with dd7. I'm sure it'll be a whole new experience the second time!