Menu

We found a swallowtail caterpillar!

Catherine

It was on my parsley. Brought it home, and now it is preparing to metamorphose, I think-it's not eating and seems to be getting smaller.

The caterpillar itself is beautiful so I can't wait to see the butterfly.

how exciting! I used to grow parsley specifically to get these. It's so much fun to watch them!

Oh -- we grow parsley just for this! We've released so many butterflies. We just bring them in as caterpillars, bring in parsley wrapped in wet paper towels placed in a cup, let them pupate in a netted cage, and then release them. They are so beautiful. From our experience, they always break out of their chrysalis late night or very early morning.

If it is fixing to spin its cocoon, it will be really still on day 1, on day 2 it will be in a little hook shape with a string around its back, and day 3 it will be in a cocoon. I've never noticed them getting smaller in the process, though.

You will probably have it all winter as late as it is in the season. I have one that cocooned at the end of July and didn't hatch out. I'm not concerned because I had one do the same thing last year, and it came out when spring arrived (which amazed me to no end since it had been in a temperature-controlled house all winter).

we found a big fat green one with spots. I wasn't home so I put him in a bag of golfish and punched holes in it (the bag not the caterpillar) We drove 25 minutes home and he was dead!!! My kids felt horrible, I felt horrible. Now I'm terrified of collecting bugs..its like one of those people who just kill plants but don't mean to. Thats me with bugs!

Sheryl

we found a big fat green one with spots. I wasn't home so I put him in a bag of golfish and punched holes in it (the bag not the caterpillar) We drove 25 minutes home and he was dead!!! My kids felt horrible, I felt horrible. Now I'm terrified of collecting bugs..its like one of those people who just kill plants but don't mean to. Thats me with bugs!

Sheryl

Oh, no!

He might have gotten too hot in the bag.

You will probably have it all winter as late as it is in the season. I have one that cocooned at the end of July and didn't hatch out. I'm not concerned because I had one do the same thing last year, and it came out when spring arrived (which amazed me to no end since it had been in a temperature-controlled house all winter).

That is quite true. We've hung our caterpillar cage in our garage over the winter, and sometime in the spring, we see wings flapping inside of the cage.

"It was on my parsley. Brought it home, and now it is preparing to metamorphose"

Did you continue to feed it? They eat like crazy before they turn into a chrysalis.

Good luck on your butterfly journey....its very addictive. :)

Kimmi

mom of my 4 year old princess, 1 queen butterfly with damaged wings, 2 monarch chrysalis' and 3 queen butterfly chrysalis'