Menu

How much did you spend on homeschool curricula this year?

Homeschooling Costs  

110 members have voted

1. 1. How much did you spend on curricula this year?

• Less than $300
    • $301-$600
    • $601-$900
    • $901-$1,200
    • $1,201-$1,500
    • $1,501-$1,800
    • $1,801-$2,100
    • $2,101-$2,500
    • More than $2,500
    • Other

Wow! I am so impressed with how inexpensively most people are homeschooling. Granted, we have some big expenses because we have no library, have kids with special needs, and also have to factor in some shipping costs, but even when I take the biggies out, we spent at the upper end of the spectrum. We do no outside activities, and I try to buy as much as possible second hand....but Math, Language Arts, Spelling, Science, Art, Geography, notebooks, pens, pencils, Netflix, Amazon Prime...It all adds up so fast. 

Note to self: Next year before I start spending, must consult the hive for thrifty tips. 

• Like 2

I'd estimate we spend less than $400.00 per year on actual books, supplies, and curriculum (much of it classical) for my two elementary-aged children. I spend an additional $200.00 per year on co-op membership fees (which all goes to pay for the space our group rents). For us, the expensive stuff is ballet and gymnastics, which probably costs about $3K (total, for both girls) annually. (But...I'm sure that's something we would be doing even if they weren't homeschooled.) We spend a bit more throughout the year on field trips (plays, museum admission fees, etc.). 

So, I'd estimate we spend about $800 - $900 total to homeschool our two children each year. Add in extracurriculars, and the total bumps up to about $4k. But still...this total is far, far less than the cost of any private school in our area, so we consider it a win! (And of course we feel it is money well spent!)

• Like 2