Menu

Anki users - advice?

Hey y'all,

I am moderately in love with Anki for memorizing stuff.  I think it's wonderful.

Here's what I'm wondering:  I'm making a deck that would be useful for two of my people.  I want both girls to be able to use it from our iThing or my phone.  I understand how to export / import cards and notes so that Kid1's cards appear also in Kid2's profile.  If I am adding cards as we go, will Anki remember the progress Kid2 has made with the cards she already had?  Or will it overwrite everything and it'll look like she's starting from 0?

Hey y'all,

I am moderately in love with Anki for memorizing stuff.  I think it's wonderful.

Here's what I'm wondering:  I'm making a deck that would be useful for two of my people.  I want both girls to be able to use it from our iThing or my phone.  I understand how to export / import cards and notes so that Kid1's cards appear also in Kid2's profile.  If I am adding cards as we go, will Anki remember the progress Kid2 has made with the cards she already had?  Or will it overwrite everything and it'll look like she's starting from 0?

I'm wodering the same thing! Also, will it unsuspend the ones kid2 has suspended?

Ooh, that's an interesting question.  I am planning to make a pile of cards at a go (that's how I roll), leave them suspended until we get there with the work, and then un-suspend them as the cards become useful.  I hadn't considered what might happen if kids 1 and 2 were in different places...

Make two profiles, one for each kid.

Duplicate the cards with export/import or any other method you choose.

The two profiles are completely independent.

What you do to one will not affect the other.

If you want to unsuspend a card for both, you must do it in both profiles.

Each profile will also track the progress of its own kid so that each kid can get customized review.

Make two profiles, one for each kid.

Duplicate the cards with export/import or any other method you choose.

The two profiles are completely independent.

What you do to one will not affect the other.

If you want to unsuspend a card for both, you must do it in both profiles.

Each profile will also track the progress of its own kid so that each kid can get customized review.

:iagree:

With the caveat that if Kid1 is already doing reviews, make sure to uncheck "include scheduling information" when exporting.

If your kids start reviewing a single deck together in one profile but then one child is pulling ahead of the other and you want to split them up into separate profiles, then when you export the deck, DO include the scheduling information. That way the second child doesn't have to start from scratch on their new deck.

It works the same way with updating - if you update an existing card in Kid1's profile (correct spelling, add info, whatever), then reimport that deck into Kid2's profile (where that card already exists in the old form), the old card will be updated with the new info, but the scheduling information will remain intact.

One tip I have is to always add and update cards in one direction so you don't get confused about which kid has the most updated deck. I always add and update cards in my oldest child's deck and then import into the younger child's.

Anki also creates backups when you are using it on your computer (not sure about other platforms) and has a great support forum so if you ever import something and you think it screwed everything up, post a panic message on their forum and someone will come to your rescue. Don't ask me how I know :001_rolleyes:

Okay, great! Thanks, y'all. It was the scheduling information part that I was unsure about. I was thinking that it would mix things up to overwrite the deck as I add new cards to Kid1 and import them for Kid2, but now I understand that the box about scheduling information can make it all okay.