Menu

Supplemental Reading/Booklist for Hakim's A History of US

SeaConquest

We are currently enjoying the audiobook version of Hakim's A History of US. We are in the first volume, which is about the first (i.e. Native) Americans. I would love to explore supplemental reading to accompany our studies -- preferably historical fiction, but non-fiction is fine too (if it's exciting).

Does anyone know if there is a booklist that accompanies A History of US, or has anyone seen one put together? Do the teacher's/study guides have such a list? I could get them from our charter school, if needed.

Today, we learned about the mound-building Native Americans, as well as Hiawatha and the founding of the Iroquois Confederacy. It would be awesome to bring this history more to life with additional reading that we could do during our read-aloud time.

Thanks so much for any suggestions.

• Like 1

I don't know of a specific list, but these are a few we've read:

Streams to the River, River to the Sea (alongside Naya Nuki: The Shoshone Girl Who Ran because Sacagawea and Naya Nuki were cousins, kidnapped at the same time, but took different paths in life.)

Om-Kas-Toe

The Birchbark House (and it's sequels: The Game of Silence, The Porcupine Year and Chickadee)

Island of the Blue Dolphins

The Song of Hiawatha (poem by Longfellow)

Tikta Lik'tak

Children of the Longhouse

Morning Girl

Picture books:

Arrow to the Sun

The Legend of the Bluebonnet

The Rough-Face Girl

How the Stars Fell Into the Sky

Thirteen Moons on Turtle's Back

Very Last First Time

• Like 1

I don't know of a specific list, but these are a few we've read:

Streams to the River, River to the Sea (alongside Naya Nuki: The Shoshone Girl Who Ran because Sacagawea and Naya Nuki were cousins, kidnapped at the same time, but took different paths in life.)

Om-Kas-Toe

The Birchbark House (and it's sequels: The Game of Silence, The Porcupine Year and Chickadee)

Island of the Blue Dolphins

The Song of Hiawatha (poem by Longfellow)

Tikta Lik'tak

Children of the Longhouse

Morning Girl

Picture books:

Arrow to the Sun

The Legend of the Bluebonnet

The Rough-Face Girl

How the Stars Fell Into the Sky

Thirteen Moons on Turtle's Back

Very Last First Time

Thanks for this. I was thinking more broadly about a reading list to go with the entire History of US series. I'd prefer not to remake the wheel if it's already been thought through by someone, or if it is contained in one of the accompanying study guides that I don't own. I know that Sonlight has a couple of American history cores, but I don't know the quality of all the books they have listed. Thanks again for the recommendations. 

Have you looked at the "More Books to Read" page in the Hakim volume? It's in the very back of the book before the Index (at least in edition I have - p.168-169). Hakim has some good suggestions. In the first book, we really liked the Walk the World's Rim book by Betty Baker. We also read Om-kas-toe by Bruchac (not on her list). Some of Hakim's suggestions skew to a younger reader such Clyde Bulla, Tomie de Paola, and Jane Nolen. The Jean Fritz books are entertaining, quick and appeal to a wide age range. Wasn't crazy about Birchbark House personally.  

If you've already looked at that list and are looking for a more pared down program of books, try the list from Notgrass' America the Beautiful or Beautiful Feet, in addition to Sonlight.

• Like 1

Have you looked at the "More Books to Read" page in the Hakim volume? It's in the very back of the book before the Index (at least in edition I have - p.168-169). Hakim has some good suggestions. In the first book, we really liked the Walk the World's Rim book by Betty Baker. We also read Om-kas-toe by Bruchac (not on her list). Some of Hakim's suggestions skew to a younger reader such Clyde Bulla, Tomie de Paola, and Jane Nolen. The Jean Fritz books are entertaining, quick and appeal to a wide age range. Wasn't crazy about Birchbark House personally.  

If you've already looked at that list and are looking for a more pared down program of books, try the list from Notgrass' America the Beautiful or Beautiful Feet, in addition to Sonlight.

Thank you! No, I haven't seen the list because we are listening on the audio version. I don't have the books at all, but I can get them from our charter school. Thank you again!

Here's a quick summary of the fictional books from Vol 1. They are a mix of picture books and novels. Hakim also has a list of original documents and other nonfiction books. Just a further comment, I think it would be beneficial to borrow a copy of the book, even if you're doing the audio, as the text has plentiful illustrations and photographs that really enliven the history.

• Betty Baker, Walk the Worlds Rim 
  • Olaf Baker, Where the Buffaloes Roam Hal Borland, When the Legends Die
  • Clyde Bulla, Conquista!
  • Tomie de Paola, The Legend of the Bluebonnet
  • Barbara Esbensen, The Star Maiden: An Ojibway Tale
  • Jean Fritz, Where Do You Think You're Going Christopher Columbus
  • Paul Goble, Buffalo Woman
  • James Houston, The White Archer
  • Scott O'Dell, Sing Down the Moon
  • Chester Osborne, The Memory String
  • Gary Paulsen, Dogsong
  • Mari Sandoz, Cheyenne Autumn
  • Elizabeth Spears, The Sign of the Beaver
  • Henry Treece, Westward to Vinland
  • Jane Yolen, Encounter

• Like 2

Here's a quick summary of the fictional books from Vol 1. They are a mix of picture books and novels. Hakim also has a list of original documents and other nonfiction books. Just a further comment, I think it would be beneficial to borrow a copy of the book, even if you're doing the audio, as the text has plentiful illustrations and photographs that really enliven the history.

• Betty Baker, Walk the Worlds Rim 
  • Olaf Baker, Where the Buffaloes Roam Hal Borland, When the Legends Die
  • Clyde Bulla, Conquista!
  • Tomie de Paola, The Legend of the Bluebonnet
  • Barbara Esbensen, The Star Maiden: An Ojibway Tale
  • Jean Fritz, Where Do You Think You're Going Christopher Columbus
  • Paul Goble, Buffalo Woman
  • James Houston, The White Archer
  • Scott O'Dell, Sing Down the Moon
  • Chester Osborne, The Memory String
  • Gary Paulsen, Dogsong
  • Mari Sandoz, Cheyenne Autumn
  • Elizabeth Spears, The Sign of the Beaver
  • Henry Treece, Westward to Vinland
  • Jane Yolen, Encounter

Wow! Thank you for taking the time to list them all out. I will definitely get a copy of the books from my facilitator. :)

Lewis and Clark wrote a bit about the Mandan (the mound building Natives I am assuming). You can search the digital versions of their journals, but you miss the pictures which are very impressive. Many libraries have at least one copy of them. The Mandan are one of the first tribes which are encountered and they allow Lewis and Clark extreme hospitality.

Many other tribes are also written about Nez Peirce, Chinook, Yakama, just to list a few.

Please consider using a few non-white sources as well. It can really help with a better idea, a less romanticized idea, of what such societies are like.

• Like 1