Menu

Budapest Semesters in Summer -- Math

MBM

Do any of you have a child who did this? Or know anyone who did? Or did you? :) My son would like to go but believes students get in by invitation only. From what I'm finding online, unless something else is available in Budapest, it appears students apply and if accepted, pay $6K for 8 weeks.

Maybe Putnam high scorers can go for free or less? He wants to compete in that this December which is surprising since he's not much of a contest math kid.

Any insight?

http://www.budapestsemesters.com/introduction/

Can't help with application or financial advice since my kids didn't apply. Several of their friends did go, however, and I can't recall any for whom the experience wasn't extremely positive.

I believe that kiana did a Budapest semester; hopefully she'll chime in soon if that's correct.

As for being a contest math kid, it's only competitive if you make it so. For many it's just a wonderful learning experience. For what it's worth, it was my less competitive kid who did Putnam in college.

• Like 2

Hello and thank you, Kathy!

:seeya: 

Ds knows some people from Hampshire who went and is going to find out more information from them. He's very keen to do this. Dad, of course, would like him to get a summer internship, preferably one that pays. Or, work at the swimming pool. Or flip burgers. As long as it pays. LOL.

His thoughts about the Putnam are just what you're saying -- he thinks it would be fun to do. I'm all for that!

• Like 1

I did a semester but not a summer session. It was incredibly awesome -- I was not attending a high-flying school and I believe I would have been far less prepared for graduate school had I not done this program first. It is not invitation only. Interestingly, after I applied the director personally called me before approving my application because he had one further question. 

The Putnam was also great fun, and no stress -- we did the test and then the math department treated us to chinese takeout. 

• Like 3

I did a semester but not a summer session. It was incredibly awesome -- I was not attending a high-flying school and I believe I would have been far less prepared for graduate school had I not done this program first. It is not invitation only. Interestingly, after I applied the director personally called me before approving my application because he had one further question. 

The Putnam was also great fun, and no stress -- we did the test and then the math department treated us to chinese takeout. 

Thanks, Kiana! The more It seems everyone really enjoys their experience there. And it's in Budapest, which I imagine is a very beautiful and interesting city.