Menu

Movie recommendations, please!

DH and I are having a date night in tonight--DMIL is taking the girls off our hands! We thought we'd like to watch a movie, and since we haven't done that in ages, we're really at a loss as to what to get. We like clean stuff (usually nothing over PG:blush: because neither of us can tolerate gratuitous ANYTHING or lots of bad language) and old stuff. So hit me with your best suggestions!

The Queen, with Helen Mirren. Of get an old film like one of The Thin Man films with William Powell and Myrna Loy. Or Cary Grant in just about anything. Cary Cooper in High Noon or Sergeant York or Ball of Fire. The Searchers or She Wore a Yellow Ribbon with John Wayne. Or pick a musical like South Pacific or The Music Man.

I do nto suppose your hubby would go for C. Reeve in Somewhere in Time or is that too chick flick for him???

I'd go for a thriller so I could hug up on my man. Hitchcock's "Rear Window" or "Strangers on a Train" would be good ones.

I really liked "High Society" with Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra and Grace Kelly. Very funny, especially the "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" scene.

We're kinda goofy, though. We like "Elf" and "The Princess Bride" and "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" and "Secondhand Lions" and "Facing the Giants," even when the children aren't with us. The Star Wars movies (original trilogy is best) and Lord of the Rings trilogy are faves here as well.

Oh, and Beatles movies. "Hard Day's Night" is my favorite, but there's also "Yellow Submarine" and "Help."

Another possibility is a music DVD if you like that sort of thing. We don't really go to concerts too much any longer because of the cost and inconvenience, but there are some fantastic shows available to watch. (I highly, highly recommend Genesis' "When in Rome" and "Rush in Rio.")

Have a fantastic time! :)

We enjoyed "21". It was about a group of MIT students who learned how to count cards and made money gambling in Las Vegas.

I liked the movie. DH thought some of the stuff in it was too stupid for MIT kids to have done, but he thought the movie was okay. It's not really his type of movie, so he enjoyed it as much as he has any movie that I have wanted to watch. :001_smile:

RC

Oh! See The Illusionist with Edward Norton - *excellent movie*!! I don't remember any cursing or bad scenes in it. We LOVED this movie. Great twist at the end! (no, wait - I just screened it. There was a s*x scene, but no nudity. You could FF through that part.)

My Favorite Wife with Cary Grant and Irene Dunne - cute, funny romantic

comedy. One of our family's favorites.

What about the movies based on the Jannette Oke books? I think Love Comes Softly is the first one. They are set during pioneer days. My family enjoyed the couple we've seen.

Lots of good suggestions here. I had forgotten about the movie Bella. I wanted to see that one. I love the idea of a suspenseful thriller, too. Lots of food for thought. . .

Anyone else?

Suspicion with Cary Grant and Joan Fontaine (I think) - We love this movie. Suspenseful as only Hitchcock can deliver.

The Others was suspenseful as well. It is not a true horror movie. I would call it "eerie".

We love Doris Day movies: Pillow Talk and Send Me No Flowers are our favorites! They are so clever and funny and nice.

Our all time favorite movie is Bringing Up Baby with Cary Grant and K. Hepburn. The Philadelphia Story is also very good (same stars).

For old thrillers, Rear Window is fabulous. There are also lots of good Bogart movies, if they are not too rough for your taste.

Have fun!:001_smile: