Menu

Pearson confirms : not intending HSchoolers to have access to Digital Path

AEC

background: I created an account via oasis w/ Pearson, signed the homeschool affidavit, got a school code, and purchased the M&L Bio package that includes online access to the teacher's ed plus additional material at Biology.com (the 'Digital Path').

I got the access code(which is no longer used) in the mail w/ the books, but have been unable to login to my account at pearsonsuccessnet.com or access the teacher's Ed or their testing materials.

I've now spoken with probably a dozen different people from pearson - tech support, sales, support mgrs, etc etc.  The answer is consistently that Homeschoolers should not be purchasing via oasis and are not intended to have access to the digital materials.

"As for the Digital Path Product licensing we discussed on the call, I was able to confirm that for Home School customers that direct online access to our Pearson Learning Platforms is not included in Home School packages and that these bundles are meant to be purchased via www.pearsonhomeschool.com rather than in the Oasis ordering system. This may help explain why when you try to access your products via the Pearson SuccessNet platform that we are encountering the error."

I got access when I clarified that, regardless of their intentions, I had purchased a package that included access.  I am nervous that it will go away, and I'm not confident future families will be so lucky.

Incidentally - I looked at pearsonhomeschool.com and for the life of me I cannot figure how how to buy the text.You can buy the workbook and lab manual (I believe they're the macaw version, despite the photo)...but I cannot find anything for buying the text.  And of course, all email from their rep's comes from an address that doesn't accept incoming mail, so I can't even point this out to them without calling them back. <sigh>

I find this frustrating and sad...but there it is.  If you've had a different experience _this year_, please post a reply and let me know.

-andy

• Like 1

I don't think one side of Pearson knows what the other side is doing.  Their own description on their "Why Pearson Homeschool Curriculum?" webpage states: "Digital and online components let you take advantage of children’s natural affinity with technology to accelerate learning..."

http://www.pearsonhomeschool.com/index.cfm?locator=PS14Ot

• Like 1

"I don't think one side of Pearson knows what the other side is doing."

that is absolutely true!  IME, they're more confused than the government!  A few people I spoke with made statements like the one you point out on their webpage - but as far as I have been able to find they don't say exactly what those 'components' are nor how to purchase/access them.  If it didn't directly affect me I'd have been laughing out loud!  

I couldn't even find a way to buy the book on the homeschool site (http://www.pearsonhomeschool.com/index.cfm?locator=PS14Qk&PMDBSOLUTIONID=36022&PMDBSITEID=5041&PMDBCATEGORYID=36027&PMDBSUBSOLUTIONID=&PMDBSUBJECTAREAID=&PMDBSUBCATEGORYID=&PMDbProgramId=80361)   :confused1:

<sigh>

I will say - it's a shame.  The videos and such are OK but nice to have...the testing materials are pretty good and I'm thrilled to have them.  If nothing else, it helps me have a basis for what a 9th grader ought to be taking from the material.  

I have a college text via Pearsons and was able to purchase the e-text and supplemental online package separately.  The program I'm accessing is via http://www.pearsonmylabandmastering.com/northamerica/masteringbiology/.  I had the text first and just stumbled onto the rest as I was looking for additional resources. 

After visiting the homeschool specific website, it looks like they are trying to market to homeschoolers without really naving done enough research into what homeschoolers want. :glare: