Menu

what do i need to know about buying a digital tv antenna?

Cottonwood

The prices I've seen are all over the place.  Dh says we do not have a high def TV but all the ones I search for come up HDTV.  Will those still work on ours?  And, he thinks we need an analog-to-digital converter.  Again, many prices and specs and I am not real sure what to choose.  We are also about 40-60 miles from the towers of the local stations.  Is that a 'forgiving' estimate?  Or do I just need to buy a 100 mile one? TIA!

The prices I've seen are all over the place.  Dh says we do not have a high def TV but all the ones I search for come up HDTV.  Will those still work on ours?  And, he thinks we need an analog-to-digital converter.  Again, many prices and specs and I am not real sure what to choose.  We are also about 40-60 miles from the towers of the local stations.  Is that a 'forgiving' estimate?  Or do I just need to buy a 100 mile one? TIA!

Your best bet is to go to TV Fool website. There you can enter your address. It will show you where the broadcast towers are in your area. If they are all in one location you'll need a unidirectional antenna, and you should decide based on the distance. A longer-range antenna when you only need a shorter range one will actually cost you money, size (larger) and reduce the quality. Do not "over-buy" thinking longer is better, That isn't the case. Purchase one that hits your distance and range.

Thing get trickier if you have multiple markets available. Start with a search. The antennas are not really different than the old ones, except the analog frequencies once used were dropped, so the antennas can generally get away with being smaller on the new ones. The antenna will pick up standard and HDTV. If you have an old analog set you will need a converter box. Many were given away for free by the government during the transition and are now in thrift stores as people upgrade. I would not pay $60 for a box without trying to get one cheap used.

http://tvfool.com

Bill

• Like 1

I'll second TV Fool. We're a similar distance away from the TV station towers. We have the Mohu Leaf 50 and depending on the weather, can get every available channel. Unlike what Mohu's site says, it does require some pointing. It's basically a matter of experimenting with various antenna locations to see what comes in best for the antenna's location.