Menu

Best French/English Dictionary

The Larousse worked for me through 4 semesters of college French, then I needed a French/French dictionary (plus internet dictionaries for slang) for literature classes. There is also the huge Collins one, and another large Oxford one. "Best dictionary" is definitely a relative term here (relative to what you need/like at the time) and has little to do with which program you are using. That is to say that the vocabulary is usually gradually built through the program, not through a dictionary. My dd is in the third semester of college French and very rarely needs to use a dictionary.

I would really recommend beginning with a "beginner" dictionary because they are easier to use at first, but honestly, it doesn't really matter. Heck, if you want to avoid the expense, use an online translator!

Have fun!

My daughter is using a really good French program, and needs the best French/English dictionary. Any suggestions?

I love the Oxford-Hachette French Dictionary. I find it logically laid out with plenty of phrases and examples which make translation far simpler and more accurate. I enjoying simply reading through it in itself.

Make sure you get the most recent dictionary you can, it will reflect todays spoken French much better.

If the house was burning, one of the possessions I'd run for would be my Unabridged Larousse. Well, maybe not--probably I'd get my collection of recipes first.

Anyway, I love that Larousse. It has great sample sentences. If you don't want to invest in the Unabridged, I'd go for the Collins college edition--that's what I bought my daughter.

Danielle