Menu

Question about Around the World in 180 Days .......

Miss Sherry

I have some questions about the program Around the World in 180 Days . Apologia is selling it as a two book set. Do you know what the 2nd book is ?

Also, are there alot of other books that are necessary to purchase to go along with this program ? It sounds great but I have not seen it yet.

Thank you so much,

Sherry

Is it the teacher book and student book? My ds is using the program thru our co-op and I only had to buy the student book. But there is a book that the teacher has.

Yep - student workbook and the guide.

We didn't stick with this book very long, but I really liked it.

I'd say if you are an avid library goer, you may not need to purchase much of anything to go with it. There is a resource suggestion list at the beginning of each section (a lot of fiction readers, text books from BJU, A Beka, Usborne, suggestions for people to study, etc). If resources you already have, or have access to in the library, aren't quite enough, there's always the internet ;)

If you want, I can give you more detailed info from the book, just let me know :)

Thank you for your responses, ladies.

I was wondering about the 2 book set of Around the World in 180 Days because I am trying to decide if I should purchase it new from the Apologia site or used. Someone has it used but they are selling just one of the two books.

I think I should wait and get both of the two books instead of just the one.

jojomojo, I went ahead and ordered All Through the Ages. It will be awhile before it comes. They have a new edition coming out that is not ready to ship yet.

I'm thinking it will give me lots of options for resources to use,in case I cannot find certain ones there will be more choices. Eos that sound right ?

But I was thinking I would use Around the World in 180 Days.

Are the two programs a lot different ? Does anyone know ?

Thanks again,

Sherry

All Through the Ages isn't really a curriculum - its like a really organized book list! :D It has sections for chronological and geographical history, and a little on science, math, arts, etc. And in each section they have it divided further into categories such as specific events, biography, fiction, literature, culture, etc. I used it in addition to Around the World to find books that correlated to what we were studying, but it would be good for any curriculum.

For example, in Around the World, if you were studying South America at the beginning it would suggest a few different famous people to study. You could use All Through the Ages to find biographies and books to study those people, or you might find a biography suggestion for someone else to study.

Oh, also thought I'd mention, the teacher manual/guide has a copy of all the student pages from the workbook, only filled in. You can also buy the student pages separate from the teacher manual. So if you find the tm used a lot cheaper, you could always order the student pages by itself.

Thanks jojomojo. It sounds like I should go ahead and get Around the World in 180 Days still even though I have ordered All Through the Ages.

It's awkward not knowing if items are going to be what you expect because you haven't had a chance to sit and look through them before deciding to purchase them or not.

You ladies are alot of help.

jojomojo, when you said this were you referring to All Through the Ages or Around the World in 180 Days ?

"Oh, also thought I'd mention, the teacher manual/guide has a copy of all the student pages from the workbook, only filled in. You can also buy the student pages separate from the teacher manual. So if you find the tm used a lot cheaper, you could always order the student pages by itself."

jojomojo, when you said this were you referring to All Through the Ages or Around the World in 180 Days ?

"Oh, also thought I'd mention, the teacher manual/guide has a copy of all the student pages from the workbook, only filled in. You can also buy the student pages separate from the teacher manual. So if you find the tm used a lot cheaper, you could always order the student pages by itself."

Sorry about that....I was referring to Around the World in 180 Days. The "answer key" in the TM is basically the student workbook page for page with answers filled in. Its not exactly page for page because the questions in the student workbook are spread out a bit more to allow room to write answers. If you can get the TM inexpensively, the student pages are only about $10 (they sell it for additional students - same as the workbook, just hole punched instead of bound).

• 8 months later...