Menu

Konos What do you need to add

trying hard once again to simplify my life, I tend to complicate things.  Teaching a 1st, 3rd, 6th and 9th grader.  Thinking about Konos 1-3 and Konos HIgh School or POE and Konos High School.

Ugh...I am not a real crafty, lets have fun all day building and making things, person.  I need things simplified, really not sure what all needs to be added to Konos, other than Math and HS Science?  Just tired of pulling in from all different sources and needing HS to be complete.

Just not sure what to do...I have been homeschooing for 12 years and I am feeling very tired, honestly!  I don't like the way I have done things in the past, feel like I am scrambling too much in HS to make sure we have the necessary things and I just want it all complete.

Does this make sense?

Kim

trying hard once again to simplify my life, I tend to complicate things.  Teaching a 1st, 3rd, 6th and 9th grader.  Thinking about Konos 1-3 and Konos HIgh School or POE and Konos High School.

Ugh...I am not a real crafty, lets have fun all day building and making things, person.  I need things simplified, really not sure what all needs to be added to Konos, other than Math and HS Science?  Just tired of pulling in from all different sources and needing HS to be complete.

Just not sure what to do...I have been homeschooing for 12 years and I am feeling very tired, honestly!  I don't like the way I have done things in the past, feel like I am scrambling too much in HS to make sure we have the necessary things and I just want it all complete.

Does this make sense?

Kim

You don't have to be crafty to do KONOS. Thank goodness, because I am not crafty, either, and I loved KONOS.

KONOS is complete except for English skills and math.

I would suggest KONOS Vol. 3 for your younger 3 dc, unless you haven't done U.S. history, in which case Vol. 2 would be my recommendation. Vol. 2 is the only one that has a sequential history, and where the character traits must be done in the order that they are in the book. The original Vol. 2 recommended this schedule: September and October: Inquisitiveness; November: Responsibility (Jamestown and pilgrims); December: Love/Generosity; January: Responsibility (ants or beavers); February and March: Courage; April and May: Wisdom.

*My* recommendation is to completely ignore the lesson plans that now come with KONOS, and read through each character trait yourself, choosing the activities you're pretty sure you can actually do, in the amount of time you have. Teach to your oldest dc, and let the younger ones come along.

Okay..so if I do that what would I do that would cover required "English"?  I am terrible at grammar and composition so...not sure what all I would neeed!  Thank you for the input, lots going on in my family and I am just tired right now!  Ugh!

Easy Grammar and Writing Strands; something to teach your youngest dc to read and write (penmanship); something for spelling if the middle ones still need it. My favorite for reading/spelling/penmanship is Spalding, but it is very parent directed, so to keep your own sanity (KONOS being parent directed, you know), you could something like Phonics Pathways or AlphaPhonics, which are also parent directed, but less intense than Spalding.

Or your middlers could do R&S's English (Beginning Wisely for younger, Progressing With Courage for older), which is very independent, so that while they are working on that, you could be teaching youngest to read and write. If they need it, middlers could also do Spelling by Sound and Structure (also R&S).