Menu

rechargeable batteries

ProudGrandma

I have a couple questions:

1) what brand is best (including the charger)

2) do you have to completely use up the battery before recharging?

3) how long do they last?  are they really worth the extra money up front?

4) what else do I need to know before investing in these?

thanks.

I have a couple questions:

1) what brand is best (including the charger)

I've had Duracell and eloops. Either seem okay. I used the same set daily for game controllers and remotes for at least a year.

2) do you have to completely use up the battery before recharging?

You don't have to use them up before recharging. However, we use ours up, so ymmv. I recommend that you buy a t least 4 to 6 extra so you always have a fulky-charged set on hand.

3) how long do they last? are they really worth the extra money up front? They last a long time. Some Duracell have different numbers on the side (IIRC, 1800 or 2400), get the larger number. I think they are well worth it and better for the enviroment.

4) what else do I need to know before investing in these?

Look for sales on Slickdeals.net, they are frequently discounted.

thanks.

Brands don't matter much. What matters are "miliamp-hours" -- most brands make a high-end miliamp-hours rechargable. Just read the packaging carefully.

You don't "have to" use them up, but some (neurotic) people believe that doing so will extend the useful life of the battery in some way. To me, that's not worth the effort... But, for the most part, people don't usually replace s battery until it stops doing its job, right?

With our not-super-careful style of use, they seem to last 5 to 10 years. That's easily hundreds of uses per battery. Yes, it's absolutely worth it.

Check Amazon reviews on the chargers. Generally if a battery company 'includes' a charger, it might not be that great.

Get about 4 more batteries than you expect to be 'in use' during normal usage of your family's things. That way, you replace the batteries, then charge the used ones, instead of waiting for a charge-up each time.

You will still need some conventional batteries. Rechargable do not have enough juice to sustain our digital camera or a hand-held game system.

I also use conventional batteries in items that are going to keep the batter for a really long time -- like a year or more. It's not worth having a good rechargable out of the rotation for that long.

Generally, recharging aa and aaa is easy. c's and d's are not usually worth getting a larger charger to acomodate them -- unless you use s lot of c or d batteries in something you own. (There are also ways to make aa's work as c or d. Let me know if you care.)